1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extending/Repairing Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TMacATK, Sep 10, 2008.

1. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    After three restrings, the A string from a set of Rotosound Jazz bass flats (purchased on Saturday) snapped at the curly Q.

Needless to say I'm disappointed in the quality of these strings. I planned for this set to last years, but the wire at the tuner side is so thin that it couldn't handle being strung up more than once.

I have plenty of string ends lying around - is there a way to lengthen the string by grafting? It's way too expensive to buy a single string and this is a brand new set of flats.

edit: Thanks to Rotosound USA, a replacement A string is on its way.

2. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Haha thanks for all your input everyone.

Not that big of a deal to fix after all. Tied a knot with pliers from what was left over of the Rotosounds' wire, twisted the end of the wire around the base of the knot. Clipped off the end of a roundwound string, tied a knot through the Rotosound's knot...it was rough for the first few minutes but it holds pitch now.

It would be nice to have a quick release bridge to protect those brittle pig's tail sting ends.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've never had that problem with the strings I've used. But I didn't use Rotosound jazz flats. Currently I use Thomastic Jazz flats and they easily go off and back on my basses and I get many years of life from them. I've never broken a Thomastic. I've broken a few other brands but usually they broke at the bridge.

4. I don't understand what would compel you to restring three times in the span of half a week.

5. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Friday: New SX arrives. Crappy strings come stock.

Saturday: I bought the Rotosounds and strung them up with the stock pickups to get an idea of the tone of this bass with good strings.

Sunday: I then proceeded to purchase new pickups and pots. I took the strings off to have the pickups installed. Strung them back up when it was done.

Monday: Crappy bridge also comes stock. I decided to purchase a retrofit. I took off the strings, installed the bridge, restrung. It was then that the wire on the top of the A string snapped off.

Granted, if I was a bit more patient, and unrestrained by my insufficient wiring skills, I would have waited for all my parts and put them all on at once.

What a wonderful learning experience this was. I'll never wind a set of Rotosounds more than once again.

6. Twisting and uncurling a string that many times (because you have to pull it through the bridge) is bound to be not good for it. Though, you don't actually need to remove the strings to install new electronics.

7. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Parabolic, you're right about that. A quick release bridge would also help.

Rotosound customer service rocks! I emailed them and in less than half an hour they replied with an offer to replace the string.