Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

extending your vocal range + improving vocals

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paniak17, Nov 9, 2004.

1. How can i sing at higher octaves without my voice cracking, and also just sounding better. I dont think i have that bad of a voice, and with a some practice i think ill be doing great. I'm always singing and i very much enjoy it. Thanks.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Just sing a long with songs... Everything, not just the style your shooting for.

3. I agree. I used to have the same problem... Couldn't hit the notes I wanted to hit. I've wanted to be able to sing since I was 14... I started singing to songs, different genre's, different pitches, and now, I'm 18, and I can actually sing. Just keep at it. Eventually you can train your voice. I still have limits, but my voice is getting stronger and stronger all the time. Keep at it, and good luck.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Vocal lessons! Singing is all about technique. If your make the correct shapes with your mouth and using your diaphram correctly you will hit your notes. It's just like playing and intsrument in that repect. You have to learn the correct fundimentals.

5. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Find a good vocal coach. They can be expensive, but worth it. And be cautious about anyone expecting you to overextend your jaw or anything else painful. Just like playing bass, it should not be painful. It should be normal and relaxed.

A good coach can help you work on your upper register.

6. Even if you have less than a 2 octave vocal range?

7. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

I heard somewhere that most people only have a 1.5 octave range. I added almost a full octave in a year and a half, back in the day.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

8. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    a lot of famous pop singers are singing with a one octave vocal range. Ashlee Simpson is one that comes immediately to mind. You can train yourself to extend your vocal range to a certain degree with proper vocal instruction. Certain exercises and singing passages can be used to eventually extend your range a little bit, but your upper and lower limits of your range are pretty much fixed already by your body. No matter how many vocal lessons he took, someone with a deep husky voice like barry white would never be able to sing something real high and clean like sebastian bach in "18 and Life" (skid row) . Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, there's cool singers in every vocal range. You should just find a vocal teacher to help point out famous singers in your vocal range and start working on that stuff. Everyone has a unique vocal timbre and that's what makes singing such a special thing. You can't just use the same gear as another singer and cop a similar tone like you can with other instruments. Also, make sure not too sing the majority of your stuff in falsetto as you will do major damage to your throat. Falsetto is a cool effect if used in moderation, but if you are singing complete songs like that you are going to have a ton of problems down the line.