Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extension a la Bollbach

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Bud Rink, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Bud Rink

Bud Rink

May 5, 2000
    NYC, USA
    I just got my bass back from our own Lex Luthier who fitted a fingered extension in addition to some awesome varnish work. It was a pleasure meeting Jeff in person and having him work on my instrument - my scroll was a little cockeyed and Jeff had to fashion the extension to rest on the outer volute. Now all I have to do is work on my scales with that "new" octave and remember why the A and E strings don't seem to change pitch when tuning any more. :confused: :p Thanks again, Jeff.

-Bud

The obligatory eye candy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry the fullsized pic isn't a little more clear, it really doesn't do justice to how the instrument looks. My admiration of the luthier's craft is followed closely by that of the bass photographers.

BTW, the bass is about a 50 year old carved Benedikt Lang (as talked about in some other thread).

2. DITTO! Did Jeff do the varnish on the top? Or just touch up, or?

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Great work for a fish breeder. I especially like the bottom piece that rests on the second turn. Velly nice...

4. Bud Rink

Bud Rink

May 5, 2000
    NYC, USA
    The entire instrument. This bass had a history of varnish "repairs" that looked like scratch cover done with brown magic marker or cordovan shoe polish. In addition to others taken down to the bare white wood (maybe this instrument had a NYC public school provenance as discussed in the NYC Juzek thread :) ) . But overall it wasn't in terrible shape. I realize that original varnish restoration is always the first choice, but in consultation with Jeff, this bass had neither the vintage or pedigree that would make that the overriding factor. I had always envisioned in my mind's eye an instrument with more of a deeper reddish brown varnish instead of the orangeish-amber and that's what Jeff did. Quite tastefully and very beautifully done! You really have to see it to appreciate it. :) The original varnish is still underneath in case some museum curator a couple hundred years from now wants to add this to their collection. ;)

5. Bud Rink

Bud Rink

May 5, 2000
    NYC, USA
    More pics with slightly better lighting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I'm planning on blue screening in Scott LaFaro or John Deak later on :eyebrow: )

6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hey friend Bud,
    That doesn't look half bad! But where'd you get that god awful bridge? ;)

7. Jeeziz, that's purty, don' it?

Bud,

You get your doghouse in a Mini? Any seat-folding required? Room for a combo amp? Passenger? I've been trying to convince my wife that this would be the perfect gig car (esp. now with the gas-pump sticker shock), but she can't get her head around the idea.

8. Bud Rink

Bud Rink

May 5, 2000
    NYC, USA
    Mike, yes - back seats down. The bass rests on it's back, neck between the front seats, the shoulders against the front seat backs. That hatch just gives enough clearance when closing. A somewhat critical measurement is the from button to the bottom of the bass (including the endpin holder) - mine measures out like 46".

As far as other cargo goes, the bass pretty much fills the rear - you have the right seat/foot area to cram as many people / things as will fit. If my passenger doesn't mind riding with a workingman 10 on their lap, then no problem :cool:

9. Bud Rink

Bud Rink

May 5, 2000
    NYC, USA
    Jeff, I'd say it looks half good! The bridge is ok... but those adjusters.... :eyebrow:

10. What knockout pictures Bud!!
    The bass looks just perfect guys! Beautiful work Jeff!
    I guess i'll have to put a blue shower shower curtain in my bathroom.

11. I've never played a bass with any sort of extension, so I gotta ask:
    How does one play a fingered extension like Bud's here? Do you attack it from the G string side like any other stop? For the Eb and D stops it doesn't appear there's anything to hook your thumb under, does the thumb ride alongside while you support the neck with your shoulder? Or ?

12. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Actually either way. For playing faster passages like in the Beeth 5th, just reach over and finger them. You have to finger the E though and this is the hardest note as the Ext.fingerboard is slightly higher for the E closure. To play longer open notes you can balance your thumb on the side of it or under if you can reach and use Vibrato and dig in a bit. The Ext. doesn't get used that much but when it does it feels great in your gut.

13. Bud Rink

Bud Rink

May 5, 2000
    NYC, USA
    Eric, I'm still getting used to it - the stopped E and Eb - you can open up your hand and place your thumb on the back side of the pegbox for support. Ds and below there is enough clearance underneath the extension for your thumb. This "clamp" only works for longer duration notes of course. For faster passages it seems the thumb wants to naturally rest against the far side of the pegbox (manevering in, out and amongst the G and D tuners :) )

14. Ah! The wonderful world of the five string DB....just go right on down to the low B, and there ya go. No muss no fuss. :spit:

15. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    FIVERS UNITE!!!! :D

16. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Paulie, I use both. For the occassional lower note, the Gated/fingered ext does the job and no B to get in the way when digging into the E, with the "BOW"! For faster passages, I prefer the 5er.. But only if I really need to lug the thing around...