Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extension cab for a Redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I finally got to play my redhead with two guitars, keys, two vocals, and bass. It is definitely nice, but I could use a little more booty. I once played through a Metro with a Triad extension and it was amazing. I want that bottom. But the Redhead is the old model, not a Super Redhead. I hear tell that the Triad needs a lot of power to really do well.

How about some opinions? Can the Redhead and a Triad give me the kind of low end I need? People have suggested the Goliath jr for an extension. Wouldn't that just give me more of the same? I was considering the Son of Bertha, but it's a 8ohm, isn't it?

He'p me. He'p me.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    You are correct.

The Goliath Jr. makes a great ext. cab for the Redhead. It will add more lows (not as much as a 15") and definately increase the punchiness. The Son of Bertha, however, will most likely give you more of what you are looking for. I have played through both and I believe that you cannot lose either way. It just depends on the amount of low-end you want.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    maybe check out those aguilar gs112's (maybe two) I heard they are really fat and smooth sounding! I agree more of the same might be boring, although the redhead is pretty cool in and of itself. Does the original redhead have the "turbo" bass knob option?

www.aguilaramp.com

4. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i bet the avatar 2x12 would be sweet! and cheap!

ps - i used to own the redhead - when i played rock i added an swr wm15 which helped my volume but didn't sound very good.

5. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've got the Super redhead, mind you. But I use a Yorkville 15 with it. It sounds great in rehearsal and enclosed gigs. But I played two outdoor gigs recently, and not enough bottom. I just bought the Big Ben 18 on ebay. I'll see if that does the trick

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had a Super Redhead for awhile and really dug it. I used it with an old SWR Basic 2 way cab (forerunner to the WM 115t) and with a Goliath III - both 8 ohm cabs. I prefer 10" punch over 15" depth, so you can guess my preference - even though the Goliath wasn't getting pushed very hard at all, and couldn't really be considered an ideal match - but hey, having lots of speaker surface area has its advantages!

Anyway - I recall reading in the owner's manual for the Super, that an 8 ohm cab is recommended for use as an extension cab. Using a 4 ohm cab (bringing the overall load down to 2 ohms) was said to be acceptable, but an 8 ohm cab was preferred.

Does the same hold true for the older Redhead design? I don't know, but it's something to consider.

:)

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That might work nicely. I'd be curious to hear that setup -- good suggestion!

:)

8. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    yeah - i wish I had thought of it before i sold my redhead!

9. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    A Goliath Jr. III (2x10) comes in 4 or 8 ohms and is rated at 350w. Seems like a natural choice, you'd have 4 10's. Should be plenty. Look here.

Yes, SWR says the SOB comes only in 8 ohms. SOB specs

10. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    The link seems broken... here is what I think you were pointing to: http://www.swrsound.com/products/proseries/goliathiiijr.html
    Goliath 3 Jr specs.

11. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City