Extension Cab for Ampeg BA500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by keepclam, Jan 30, 2006.

1. keepclam

Jan 30, 2006
    Yardley, PA
    I've got an Ampeg BA500 and am looking for an extension cabinet. Should I go with single 15/18 or a 4x10 cab? What would be the merits of each?
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    wow, the ba500 reminds me of my old B328 (150w into 2x8) are there ports on the back??

if you can borrow or demo each. but gut feeling tells me the 15" go 15 if you want heavy lows, go 410 if you want fast and punchy sound, although 410 will sound heavier to a certain extent than just the 210s.

I think 18's might be falling out of favor, but I'm wrong quite frequently around here...:rolleyes:
  3. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Why do you even want an extension cab for this thing in the first place. It pumps out so much volume already with just those 2 X 10's. I mean i thought about doing it to for more volume but then i figured out that it was something wrong with my bass so i fixed it and now its even louder than i want it to at times. My advice save your money for an All-tube head and a Big cab down the way
  4. keepclam

Jan 30, 2006
    Yardley, PA
    Thanks for the input!
  5. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    I have a BA500 and I'm using a SVT410HLF. Adding a 4 ohm extension cab pulls the full 500 watts out of the BA500. The HLF series are an extended frequency range cabinet. You can find them used for under $400.

I couldn't have been happier with the setup. It's loud enough to power through a metal band with two loud guitarists and a hard hitting drummer. We play drop c# and the extended frequency of the HLF adds a crapload of deep end.

That having been said, I'm in the midst of selling everything and getting a new bass rig.