1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extension cab for Ampeg BA500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mfbolton, Jan 1, 2013.

1. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm looking to get an extension cab for my Ampeg BA500. It is a 4 ohm rig as it sits, and can handle down to 2 ohm. I would like to stay with an Ampeg cab, but they are a bit hard to come by in a 4 ohm rating. If I use an 8 ohm cab, the overall ohm rating would be 2.7. What are the downsides of mixing different ohm ratings? I've found a good deal locally on an Ampeg 8 ohm 4x10 cab, but if it is not going to sound good or be damaging to the amp or speakers, I'll keep searching.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

2. I got a PF-500 with a SWR410 at 8 ohms. I bought a ext cab Hartke 2200 PRO that is 4 omhs. I want to use them both at the same time. No clue here.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    mfbolton- you want to find a 4 ohm 2x10. Ampeg made a few models, including the BXT210M. But ANY 4 ohm 210 will work. I used a 4 ohm 1x18 with that amp, a 4 ohm 1x15 would work as well, but a 210 would be ideal.
    unclewalley- you CANNOT use that 4 ohm ext cab with your 8 ohm cab, as your amp is 4 ohms minimum. You can use ONE 4 ohm cab, or TWO 8 ohm cabs. It's best for them to be identical, in any case.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021