Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extension Cab for Carvin PB200-15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Jun 22, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Soon, if every thing goes according to plan, I should have enough dough to get an extension cab for my Carvin PB200-15. I plan on in the end having a 210 cab and 115 with a Carvin R600 and maybe add another 15. My question is this: Should I get the 210 or the 115? Here's my problem with getting the 210. I've never played through a 210 cab and I'm not sure I'd like the sound. I love the sound that my 15 gives me. Plenty of punch and lots of low end. So if I go with the 15 first I'll be sure to like the sound because it will be that low end and punch x 2. Then I can try out a 210 with the fifteen after I get my head and be sure I like the sound of the 210 and 115. Thanks..

Dirk

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I own a PB200-12 and the problem with it is that the amp puts its full load-160 watts at 8 ohms-into the internal speaker. The power section on the PB200 is actually two separate power amps bridged together. There are 3 speaker outs-the bridged one (160 @ 8) and the two individual amp outs (2 x 50 @ 8 ohms or 2 x 80 @ 4).

Even if you were to get a 4 ohm extension cab, if you plugged that into one of the speaker outs and the internal 8 ohm speaker into the other, you'd only be getting 130 watts-less than the 160 watts into the internal speaker alone. Granted you'll get an increase in volume from the increased speaker area, but in my experience, running extension speakers from my PB200 doesn't lead to a sizable increase in performance.

I've had much better luck using the internal 12" speaker on my Carvin when hooked up to other amp systems. The Carvin 12 with my SWR 2x10 and Ampeg B2R or Mesa-Boogie Bass 400 make a very tight sounding and portable rig with a lot of punch. Since you like the sound of the 15 in your Carvin, the most inexpensive thing to do for now might be to get the R600 and a 210, and use the 15 in your combo for the lows. You can always add more stuff in the future if the need arises.

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for your reply. I've also been toying with that idea for a while too. After tons of thought about the situation I've decided to get the R600 first, running it with my 15 from the combo, then as soon as finance allows I'll add that 2x10.

Dirk

4. I play every Thursday night on a Carvin RL610 with a 2x10 and 1x15 configuration. The owner (house band) of the amp says it will bi-amp, but he does not yet have it set up that way. If this were my rig, I would definitely be bi-amping it and splitting the signals where they will do the most good.

The house band routinely plays at 106 dB in a bar-size venue, and this rig makes plenty of racket and has a good thump to it. The size is modest and it appears fairly easy to move. As it belongs to the house band, I have no first hand knowledge about actually picking it up and moving it.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    related size/weight info:

Cyclops (1x15, 2x8+horn and R600) 103 lbs

RC210 (2x10 + horn and R600) 84lbs

R600 by itself 30 lbs

RL115 cab 66 lbs

RL118 cab 72lbs

Cyclops is fairly big and hard to move.

RC210 is heavy, but moves pretty easily.

I have never tried the 115 cab

The 118 is heavy, but moves pretty easily.. I guess the handles are well located on most of the gear.