1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Extension Cab for Eden Metro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have an Eden Metro that I use for rehearsals and gigging. I don't mind the weight since I almost always have access to elevators if I'm playing off the first floor. For gigs, I also have the XLT-115 I put under it. Unfortunately I seem to have a problem with either too much boom without definition, or no matter how much I try, when I try to remove some of that boom, it then becomes too compressed with less punch than I want to hear. I have the compression completely off the amp. I do frequently hear from band members, that they'd like to hear more punch and low end. I tend to agree.

I was thinking of keeping my Metro and changing my extension cab. I want lots of colon-loosening punch with a deep funky low end, but that can be heard with some degree of clarity. It may sound like I am controdicting myself, but to sum it up in four words: "Meaty Punch with clarity" is what I'm looking for.

I've done the obligatory search, but am confused about which extension cabs would best fit what I'm looking for. Here are some considerations and incidentals about my situation:
    1. I don't care how heavy the extension cab is as long as it has wheels if it's a killer.
    2. It can't be any larger than my current XLT-115 (no 610 cabs).
    3. I play indoor and outdoor gigs. Would a 210 or 212 be enough if the bass rig is an important part of my sound? The PA we use is good (and I go direct into it as well from the back of my Metro), but not enough to be the main bass amp/cab in a small outdoor venue. Do I need something like a 410 to add to the 210 in the Metro for this kind of thing?
    4. Do I go with XLT or XST and what are the advantages and disadvantages of either with the Metro?
    5. I'm more of a pocket player, not a soloist, who likes to through in a few lines every once in a while. It would be nice to have them heard.
    6. (If this makes any difference) I play a fretless Roscoe 5 string and a fretted Peavy Cirrus 5. I may upgrade the Cirrus to a F Bass, CB Bass or another Roscoe in the future.
    7. I'd prefer it to be an Eden. I'm a bit OCD about it asthetically matching. OK... it's stupid, I know, but it's who I am.

Thank you in advance for your input.

2. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    IIRC the Metro is basically a 210XLT without the top port. I recommend the 210XST. No problems handling those low-Bs and it doesn't flub down low. It will compliment the growl of the Metro nicely.

3. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    210xst-8 ohm....it will kill

4. Bassmanbob

Hmm. That's two so far for the 210XST.

Thanks so far.

5. Bassmanbob

Evening bump for any more replies. Anyone agree with adding a 210-SXT or something different?

Thanks.

6. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    Unfortunately, most cabs are bigger than your 115?

A 212XLT would be really nice and give you a bit more presence. The 210XST would be sweet, but, from what you've said about your gig(s), I'd go a bigger cab as an extension. (212 or 410 neither are a 610 but are definately bigger than the 115)

You could run a 4ohm 410XLT if you really want to kick some butt! The 210 inside the Metro is 8ohm so if you used a 4 ohm 410XLT as an extension cab, you get equal power to each of the six drivers. Fair bit bigger and heavier though? VERY "meaty, punchy and clear" though :cool:

7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Cool Amp. I had one.

2x10 XST. 8 OHM.

Then if you really want to go nuts you can add the 15 back in for just over 2 ohms.

8. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    4 ohm 410xst
    the metro cab - which is actually a 210xlt, will provide the punch; and the 410xst will provide the deep end and additional volume

or

4 or 8 ohm 212xlt
    more punch and less deep low than the 410xst
    a bit less volume than the 410xst
    4 ohm if you want max power
    8 ohm if you still want more cab - like an 210xst

can you give an example of your setting that gives you the boom?
    e.g.
    gain - 12:00
    enhance - 9:00
    blab blab blab ...

9. Rich L

Rich L

May 17, 2006
    Ft Myers, FL
    Do you plan on parting w/ the 115? :D

10. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    Owned a Metro for a number of years, no longer have it. When I did I used a 410XLT and sometimes a 210XLT. The best and biggest sound I got was on an outdoor gig when I used an Accugroove El Whappo with it. I think a good combination would be to use it with a Whappo Jr.

Wally

11. Bassmanbob

Yes

12. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own!

I used a Metro for about two years. It sat on top of a 210 XST. Sounded great and handled low B without any problems and was pretty damm loud as well.

13. Bassmanbob

Thanks again guys for your replies.

From your replies, I am tending toward the 210-SXT or the 410 either XLT or SXT. I'd prefer the 210 cab only because I'll be in the market for a car in a year or two and would like to downsize from my Nissan Murano. But if I were to get rid of the 115 extention I currently use and use the Metro with the one extension, should I go with the higher or lower ohm cab? I should search this amp section for the different ohmage settings and how it applies to sound and what can go in combination with what. I'm sure there are multiple threads here about that. I'll see if I have some time tomorrow to devote to that topic.

Thanks

Oh. BTW: The Eden D115-XLT I have was purchased in 2002 (before the buy out). I'm not sure of the ohms, but the one that would allow me to add a 210 cab as well to make the entire rig 2 (210)s ( one of them being the Metro itself and the other being an extention 210) and the 115. I'll check it. It has been used about 20-30 times since then only at gigs and has been covered with the Eden made cover. Since I'm in South Florida, it's been in a climate controlled (minimal humidity) environment with air conditioning 300 out of 365 days a year. I'd have to check it to make sure, but I can't remember having a scratch on it.

If I sell it, it will be after I purchase a different cab and am happy with it.

14. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I would go for the 4 ohm D210xst. The D210xlt drivers (the Metro internal speakers) have a higher sensitivity and a low mid bump that will make them sound louder. The 4 ohm D210xst would get more power and would add more fatness to your tone than the 8 ohm version.