Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extension cab for GK MB150E

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by liverbird, Feb 3, 2004.

1. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    I've just bought a GK MB150E for my theatre gig, thanks for all the good advice in here!

So far I'm pretty happy, it's quite powerful for its size and seems to have some useful features. However, I'm already thinking about buying an extension cab to get a bit more oomph and also benefit from an adjustible tweeter.

Suggestions? I was thinking either Aguilar GS 112 or Glockenklang Space Deluxe (the 1x12 cab with tweeter) or possibly Epifani. Anybody tried the Tech TLT 1x12?

Seems all of these got power handling of at least 300W. Is it a bad thing that the GK can only deliver 150W max? (When running the internal speaker as well, is that correct?) And I guess if I switched off the internal speaker, that would go down to only 100W, right? Anybody see any problems there?

Cheers.

2. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Well I guess what I was trying to say is, can you underpower the cabinet as in not get its best performance with a weak-ish amp?

Cheers.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmm I thought people usually get combos so that they dont have to haul separate heads and cabs and cables aruond, not to mention a combo and a cab?
    Those 100 Watts will be enough for you in a theater, but if you wnat to know, you can underpower a cab, but it will not sound like it would with a higher power amp. Volume will be low and weak, but it will work.
    And AFAIK only 100 W goes into the internal speaker, and max 150W goes out, with internal speaker off