Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extension cab for SWR WM 10 - want much more bass...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Jan 9, 2002.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hi all, a quick question - can anyone reccommend a fairly cheap extension cabinent (8 ohm) that I can pair with my Workingman's 10 to get more bass out of it? Don't get me wrong - it's a great amp, but that single 10" doesn't do too much in the deep bass department. I'm mainly looking used (unless prices are lower that what I'm expecting) - and I really like 15" cabinents. I guess I'm pretty interested in Ampeg, but I don't know where to look on the internet (besides EBay, which I don't really trust all that much) to find one used. Any other suggestions? Perhaps a 12" or a 2x10"? Eden's 10" cabinents look really good, but are fairly pricy. Hopefully would like to find something that's decently flat (-3dB or so) down to 45-ish Hz and around $200-$300 or so (give or take a bit). Power rating isn't too much of an issue (the WM 10 will only be giving it 50 watts) but somewhere in the 200-300 ranger or higher would be nice.

Also, if anyone knows much about what a good $100 or so microphone for recording bass would be, then would you drop in on my post in the Recording Gear forum? Thanks.

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Bag End makes some incredible and very portable 1x15" cabs. They can be found used for around $300 (since the amp already has a tweeter, you don't need to get the model with the coaxial tweeter.)

3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    by the way, look at bassgear.com and harmonycentral.com for used gear. Or the "used gear for sale" section of this forum.

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey, thanks for the idea. I didn't know that Bag End cabs were so cheap. I'll definitely look into them.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I use the Bag End S15D with my Workingman's 10 and it sounds great.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Beware of using the WM 10 with an extension cabinet, it puts an additonal load on the amp to the point that if you play it an extended period of time with the volume at say two o'clock, you can burn out amp out. That happened to me, I got it fixed and I sold it.

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I actually think that I was reading a thread about that a little while back. Though I've used mine with an extension speaker at decently high volume before and never had problems so hopefully it won't blow up.

8. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I read the same thing, but I run my WM10 with the SWR 1x10 extension at high volume all of the time at rehearsal.

I've also used my WM10 with my Goliath II. It sounds pretty darn good with it.

The SWR 1x10 is nice, and the corners stack, but I bet the Bagend moves much more air. The second tweeter in the SWR1x10 is pretty much superflurous.