Extension cab for SWR WM 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zerzig, Nov 13, 2002.

1. zerzig

Nov 11, 2002
    Hendersonville, TN
    Hello, this is my first post.

Background info: Middle-aged in a continual mid-life crisis. So now I want to get back into playing bass.

In a fit of semi-informed eagerness I did the following: ordered a Carvin LB75P (to arrive Friday 11/15/02), ordered a SWR WM 15 (arrives tomorrow). I also ordered the infamous Rogue VB-100 'cause my daughter (14) is interested in playing bass and I thought a short scale, lightweight, cheap bass that has good reviews at Harmony-Central was the way to go. And...I wanted to thump on it, too.

I was reading the SWR manual online and it says I'll need an extension cab to handle the 5th string and take it to 200 watts. So...after reading the great stuff about Avatars here I called Dave and talked him into selling me the 4x10 8 ohm (Dave asked if I wanted the 2x10 or the 4x10 and I said I always like too much, "4x10 it is!").

The question is: have I made a mistake by getting the 4x10 with 350 watts per speaker, 1400 watts total since the SWR is rated 200 watts.

I read a post here that said underpowering can blow speakers as well as overpowering. But then I read posts where people are using as little as 150 watts to a 2x10 rated at 700 watts.

I have really enjoyed reading the forum. Great discussions, technical advice, and a tremendous lack of arrogance and abundance of assistance.
  2. you should be okay as long as you don't push the preamp into clipping. if you do that, you might be in trouble.
  3. zerzig

Nov 11, 2002
    Hendersonville, TN
    Thanks dancehallclasher.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i would have gotten the avatar b112 instead. handles 400 watts, a decent bit smaller and more portable, and is freaking LOUD!!!

but you should definitely move some air with the wm15 + 4x10. avatar speakers don't mess around.
  5. zerzig

Nov 11, 2002
    Hendersonville, TN
    I see what your saying. SWR puts a 15 cab with it.

But Dave and I went for the midrange punch of the 10s. Plus, I think I've read that the tweeter is hissy on the SWR WM 15 so I'm hoping I'll get a better high out of the 10s + tweeter.

Also, an ulterior motive, I thought someday I might use the 4x10 as part of a stack and put a 15 on bottom, add an amp, etc. Or make that a 12 on bottom, huh?
  6. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    What he said -- truth.

There's only one thing for you to do -- buy a bigger head!!!

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i played a very similar setup and it is VERY loud for 200 watts!!! i was able to keep up with a copule of 100 watt tubers... moves a ton of air! as stated earlier, watch out for the clipping...
  8. zerzig

Nov 11, 2002
    Hendersonville, TN
    Ok, so say I sell enough of my camera gear on eBay to look at heads and put an Avatar 15 on the bottom rated at 450 watts RMS + 4x10 at 1400 watts (can I do that?).

How much amp would it take to drive the speakers?

Which raises another question I have: Does biamping make possible a real difference in sound?
  9. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I used a WM15 mated with a Goliath II for many years...... worked fine for me. :)

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    All the amps and cabinets on the site at SWRsound.com have other SWR gear that would be compatible listed at the bottom of their pages...the 4x10T is listed, so you should be cool.