1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extension cab question for you - what will adding a 115 cab do for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Sep 5, 2008.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've got a Yorkville XS400T 210 combo and it's frequency response is 20Hz - 20kHz. I've been thinking of putting a 115 extension cab under it but I've been noticing that most 115 cabs have frequency responses that are within the 20Hz - 20kHz range. On it's own this combo is pushing 250w through the 10's and will push 400w with an 8ohm extension cab.

Other than raising the output what will adding a 115 cab do for me?

2. kebbs

kebbs Modus vivendi

Aug 30, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    There has been a lot of discussion on benefits of 115 with a 210, and where to use it, what it adds, etc. Have you tried searching for similar posts?

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I searched for 115 but I'll try 115 with 210 - thanks!

4. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I'd wager that the 20-20kHz spec is for the amp potion of your combo, and that the spec for the speaker/cab portion of the combo is very different.

Adding a speaker will "raise the output" as you say, both in terms of the power your amp will be capable of providing as well as the SPL the system will be able to produce. The tone differences between the combo with an extension cab and without depends on the character of the extension cab you choose (that is, with a given input the resultant frequency response, the frequencies that will be enhanced or diminished, will be complex and completely dependent on the specific extension cab). IOW, unless I'm missing your point, answering your question is not possible.

5. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Yah ain't no 2X10 speaker that works from 20Hz-20Khz Not in our atmoshpere anyhow

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1, too many variables. But, the amp is certainly capable of pushing an ext spkr, and a 15 is a good starting point, so try a few different 15's out with your combo, and see what you think.

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks! I hadn't thougt about the frequency of the attached speaker cab, which I would bet would be similar to a Traynor TC210. From what I've been reading it sounds like adding a Traynor TC115 would beef up my sound and make the rig sound more full range.