Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extension Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by magdalena, Jul 22, 2000.

1. I have a Yorkville 400 watt 1x15 combo and i'm looking for an extension cabinet... but i have no idea what combination of speakers or what company would be the right choice. any suggestions?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Something with 10's in it. Best you can afford, starting at the high end with EA, Eden, Epifani, Acme, SWR, moving into Ampeg, Mesa, Hartke, Genz-Benz, dropping down to Peavey, Carvin, Fender and what-have-you. I know I'll get creamed for the order in which I put these, but there's a lot of personal taste involved in cabinet selection. If you got an EA or Eden 210 cab, you would end up in hog heaven, no matter what sort of flames arise out of this. Good luck.

3. If my head's minimun impedance is 4ohms and my speaker with the combo is 8ohms, how many ohms should the cabinet be so there aren't any problems?

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  5. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    Yup, get a 2x10.You cant go wrong.Although I do have an Eden do yourself and your wallet a favor, check out every brand you can.I also have a Peavey and it sounds as good on the low end as the Eden.

6. Which do you think would be a better choice, getting a lower quality cabinet with more speakers- like a 4x10, or a higher qualtiy 2x10 like an Eden?

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Shoot, if you can get the Eden D210XLT, go for it. I have one of them and an Eden D410XLT, and the difference in tone is nominal. Volume is another thing. But the 210 is a 350 watt cab, so you may be a little shy on power. You know, Yorkville makes a 210. I've never tried one, but it may be OK. I think a 210 would work well with your rig.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What Munji said!

The only reason I'd get a 4x10 over a 2x10 is for extra volume. But without the watts, it's a moot point. All that extra weight to lug around for no real increase in volume or improvement in tone.

Another vote for the Eden 210xlt.