1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extension Cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Tree, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Mr. Tree

Mr. Tree

Jan 25, 2008
    Madison WI
    Hello, I am looking to add an extension cab to my combo amp. I have
    never had more than a combo by itself. Right now I have an Eden Nemesis N15S. It is 120 watts at 8 ohms. I am going to be playing
    with a very loud drummer. If I add an 8 ohm cab, I'll have 170 watts
    at 4 ohms. I am wondering if I should add another 15 under the combo,
    or set a 2x10 on top of it. Any advise would be helpful. buying a new
    rig is not an option at this point. Thanks!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    2x10 or 1x15 is a personal preference. My preference would be the 210.

3. Mr. Tree

Mr. Tree

Jan 25, 2008
    Madison WI
    I should also say that I am playing punk rock on a P bass with a pick.

4. Hmm, my main thought is that even at 170W you might have trouble cutting thru.

It takes alot of power to make bass compete with all those midrange frequencies.

For example, I have an Ampeg combo which is 200watts with internal cab, adding another 8 ohm cab is 350 watts.

Still not loud enough (head room wise) to keep up with a medium volume drummer and guitar player with 40W fender deluxe. Makes me sorry I sold my SVT II a few years ago...

So I just bought a Mesa MPulse 600, which I'm hoping will keep up.

Does your Nemesis have a "slave out"? If so, I'd recommend adding another cab of your choice with a power amp bridged mono to get some more power. Otherwise you might have trouble cutting thru.

Monk

5. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    which is why it makes sense to get an extension cab that you can add too later. i would normally say in your situation to do a 15 to move more air, but its tough because 15s generally need more power. a 2x12 would be a nice choice. or a 2x10. , if you can, go with a 4x10.

either way youl be better off then you are now.