extension cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elavate7, Feb 18, 2010.

1. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    is it true that combo amps can take extension cabs?if so, how many ohms must the extension cab be?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There is no one answer to either of those questions for "all" combo amps. Every amp is different. RTM.

3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Most better combos will allow another 8 ohm cab.
    Wes

4. This. More specifically, what combo amp are you using or considering buying?

Mike

5. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    rigght now, i own an old peavey combo 115. i posted a thread about that amp a while ago called “im lost..,,” if u need to see the amp.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Google the owner's manual online and look it up. That gives you an accurate answer.

In many cases the combo amp is equipped with a speaker which is already the minimum impedence.

7. I read the thread and it seems as if some thought it might be a keyboard amp. If it is the bass version (it went by a couple names iver the years), then the manual is, as Pilgrim suggested, available online. I'd read it thoroughly before I ready started messing with it. That stated....

Per the manual, this combo has an internal 4 ohm speaker with the amp pushing 210 watts into it. Unlike many 4 ohm combos, this one will handle a 2 ohm load, meaning you can plug another cabinet into the extension jack. Full power with another 4 ohm cabinet is 300 watts. If I recall, Peavey made (makes?) 4 ohm versions of both a 210 and an 115 extension. I'd start there.

Mike

8. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    where am i going to find a 2 ohm cab from

9. You don't. That combo will accept either an 8 or a 4 ohm extension. The latter will give you 2 ohms total (4 ohm internal speaker and 4 ohm extension) and the amp will be pushing 300 watts at that impedence, somewhat less so with an 8 ohm extension.

If any of this is confusing to you, there's a sticky in this forum that explains impedence (ohms) better that I could. I'll stress again that you read the entire manual for that combo (or any piece of gear, really).

Mike

10. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    well im thinking bout just adding a 2x10 8 ohm cab to my combo. what you think? my only fear is that my combo might blow, i think it was made in 95

11. That's definitely a viable option. Why would it blow? Because of age? I've got an amp made in 95 that was flooded in Katrina that still works. 15 years ain't bad.

Mike

12. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    since you put it that way lol.

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I used to own a Peavey Combo 115. It was just like this one.

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/95538/Combo(R) 115.cfm

It is capable of running a 4ohm extention cab which creates a 2 ohm load and the amp puts out 300 watts. It will run all day at 2 ohms with no problems. I used to run it with a 4 ohm TVX210 cabinet and it worked great. That amp now belongs to a friend of mine and it's plugging away at 2 ohms every time we use it.

14. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    i dont have this one. i have the older model back in 95

15. Peavey made several different cosmetic changes to the amp over the years, but they are all essentially the same.

Mike

16. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    true! well ill probably just get that cab

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021