1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extension for Berg IP310?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fcleffer, Apr 24, 2015.

1. I love the fidelity of my IP310, which I bought in Austin seven years ago. It's beauteous. I do think the overall sound could benefit by adding/extending an 18 inch woofer, though, and I'd like to try. But not being an engineer, I don;t dare hook anything else up to it without some feedback from those who have done so. Any positive anecdotes? I use it on an old Kay upright, a de-fretted Roscoe Beck five-string, and a great old Fender Jazz style Schecter.
    Thanks
    LowellJamesHicks.com

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The IP310 is already at 4 ohms which is the minimum impedance the amp can stand. You can't add an extension.
    It is a monster in every sense and I don't think anything could be done to improve it.
    I also can't think of any situation in which it wouldn't be loud or low enough, lack definition or anything else.
    What preamp do you use with it and what exactly do you plan to improve ?

tombowlus likes this.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I have not heard any 18" that can match the massive, deep, but tight low end punch of the IP310. Duke LeJeune's Hathor 1855 (with the right amp) might give it a run for the money, though. But man, I can't see where a properly functioning IP310 would leave someone wanting to add any kind of a sub to it.

However, if you are dead set on adding to your IP310, then I would suggest daisy-chaining in another Berg IP cab.