1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Extention Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by craigc, Jan 13, 2012.

1. craigc

craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    I have a Peavey Tour TNT 115 combo. I have not been satisfied with the sound since I purchased it. A local dealer has this same amp on the floor and has it extended to a Peavey Tour 410 cab. The sound was amazing pair together. Everything I can find on TB says this is not proper. Why?

2. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Some combo amps have a feature which defeats the on-board speaker when an extension cab is plugged in. If this is the case with your Peavey, then its ok to run the 410 as an extension cab. Otherwise, its usually not a good idea to mix speaker sizes.

For the reasons you've read here on TB.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Trust your ears.

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    have you not heard the classic, everything sounds better in the music store till you get it home?

sounds like you just need more speakers, and the peavey can run more. Just buy another peavey 1x15 that matches the combo speaker.

2x15 was the standard for bass players before 10's took over in the 80's.

5. craigc

craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    Mr Woodsbass I am not trying to beat a dead horse. I am just trying to save a little money. If the post bothers you then just skip over it. Thanks to the guys with the positive response, well appreciated.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Almost any two cabs together will sound better than either alone. The only way to know if the combination of the TNT115 plus Tour 410 is better than two Tour 410s driven by a decent amp is to try those two combinations side by side. My bet is that you'd find the pair of 410s considerably better. For that matter, did you try the Tour 410 alone, driven by a decent amp? I expect that would sound better than the TNT 115 as well.

7. Hahhaha no man, not being mean. Go read through that thread and see what happened when I asked basically the same question you did. I'm NOT a "search" function beater, just thought you could get a good laugh from how far off the rails the thread I started went.

Sorry for the confusion! :bassist:

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IMHO, if you are going to add a cabinet because you don't like the combo, don't worry about the drivers size. You have other problems for which the only real fix is to replace the combo.

To do that is less painful IF you do it in two stages. Stage 1: get the best 2nd cabinet you can possibly afford, regardless of driver size, and live with it as an "extension" cabinet until—Stage 2: buy as powerful a head as you can afford while selling the combo, and if possible add a second cab to the rig at the same time.

You then have the "extension" cabinet, a head, and possibly a second cabinet.

N.B. There are times when the "rules" or convention wisdom are not really useful. This is one of them, IMHO. I am assuming that you will eventually tire of lugging a heavy combo. To speed you along, I suggest you go check out a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and a GB NeoX 210 or 212. I buy everything used.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Big +1 to Mr Carr.

10. craigc

craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    Woodsbass I understand, sorry. I am a Peavey speaker fan,and am just trying to get the best sound until I can afford the head I want. Thanks to all the good people on TB.

11. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I am a believer in matched driver sizes. But, many, many times in the past I have used rigs with mixed driver sizes and had very good results. Here's the problem (sometimes) on TB. Some guys seem to have unlimited (or at least more) money to spend on their rigs. Many of us, do not. So, for those of us who are trying to put together the best rig possible on a budget, maybe a 115 and 210 works out well. Also. There is no "perfect" tone. Whatever works best for you will be "perfect" for you.

With that said. I would also suggest working your way to an amp/cab rig, and forget the combo. I do have a combo, but only use it when that is all I need. If I need to add an extension cab, then I forget it and take a head and a couple of 112's.

12. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    BTW Doc.

This is some of the best, non technical advice I have seen lately. There are so many times that someone asks a question like this, and the tech guys chime in with suggestions that may cost thousands. In doing so, (and maybe without intention) they belittle the poor soul who is trying to put together a rig on a budget. Most of us have, at one time or another, been in a position where money WAS an object.

It is refrershing to see someone post good advice that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Your advice was right on.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Thanks for the kind words. BTW, the OP could do way worse than to check out the cabs that you build. Keep up the great work! :hyper:

14. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks Doc.

Unfortunately, the 112 cabs that I use exclusively are pretty salty. Maybe a grand (for the pair) just for materials. Since I build, I have a pair. If I couldn't build them, I wouldn't. And, I have had no GAS for anything else for over two years. And, I'm not looking.

I wish these could be available to the players who read these threads. While everyone is looking for something different, for me, the looking has ended....after 44 years as a player.

Mind if I add you to my buddie list? Done, and done.

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Fixed it for ya Rick :D