Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EXTERMINATOR

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jeb, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Contacted the exterminator at mymusicstuff.com and he sent me his number one agent - Thom' Infeld.
    I have implemented 'TI's' "JF345" formula on my Stingray5 and killed the crickets! :bag:

Seriously though, what a great match on an active bass. My D and G strings are now just as full and balanced as the others regardless of where I am on the fretboard. Still plenty of bite, but more warmth and character. More control over my tone. I've had the JF344s on my jazz bass for years and was contemplating the switch on the SR5 for months now. A solid improvement I think.

2. Yeah, I hear you! I've tried JF 345 on my Bongo 5, but the low B-string...
    It didn't really have enough output.
    How's the B-string on your bass?

3. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    The B is fine. I'm not on it a whole lot, mainly as a reference for root position in flat keys, and it gets more boomy the higher up on the fretboard you go.

But the only output difference I noticed is a definite balance improvement between the high and low strings. Otherwise output (and for that matter - tension) is similar to the slinkys that were on there before, but without the "harshness" if you get my drift.

I'm sure that the tension is at least a little bit looser than the slinkys because I had to put just a bit more relief in the neck and the saddle height/intonation required slight adjustments to get the same feel. But they play and sound great.