1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

External 2x10 cab with a BA112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by izzydoesit, Apr 28, 2009.

1. izzydoesit

izzydoesit

Apr 23, 2009
    I have an Ampeg BA112. I want to use it with an external 2x10 8 ohm cab, which I plan to build.

There is no jack to plug in an external cab, but it does have a 'headphone' jack. The headphone jack apparently disconnects the internal speaker when a headphone is plugged in.

I there any reason that I cannot plug an external cab to the headphone jack?

Attached is a block diagram I found on the Ampeg site.
    View attachment BA112 - BLK DIA.jpg

2. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    You could probably connect your cab, but I don't think it will be very loud. The block diagram posted doesn't show it, but there is most definitely a resistor in series for the headphone jack to attenuate the signal (otherwise your headphones would either fry or your eardrums would be in danger).

You would have to bypass this resistor and it could work in theory, that is assuming the rest of the internal headphone jack wiring can handle the full load current of the external cab.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That amp, cool as it is, is not designed to add a cab. The headphone out is an entirely different thing. Won't work.