1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

External Amp Output Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilson Kessel, Jun 14, 2019.

1. I have two Ampegs: a '72 V4 and a '74 SVT. If I decide to daisy chain them together, is there any risk involved with which order I use, either plugging the 100W V4 into the 300W SVT, or the other way around? Will that cause any issues, since the "External Amp" outputs are essentially DIs and are avoiding the power section? Obviously if they were the same amp/wattage it could be daisy chained "infinitely" but I want to confirm I'm not going to damage either amp since they have different wattage ratings.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The amps are designed to be used that way. The order is up to you.

Use an instrument cable to connect between the ext amp jacks on each amp.

Plug into the amp with the pre that you want to use. That pre will set the overall volume. The output of that amp will feed both power amps. The speaker cabinets of both amps need to be connected. Sound will come out of both.

3. Thanks for the input!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  4. Woah back.

In case you don't have a clue about what you are doing, you need cabinets on each amp, the first amp's preamp does the pre amplification and the others are ''slaved'' just using their power amp.

Plug it all in before you turn anything on. Turn it all off before you unplug.

5. Thank you for the concern, but I was planning to plug my SVT into it's typical 810, and then slave the V4 with a 415 plugged into it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.