1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

External cab for Behringer BX1200 bass combo or upgrade the internal speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lame(B)ass, Apr 16, 2006.

1. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    To make long story short - friend of mine started playing bass, bought this Behringer BX1200 (served him well as begginer amp) but now doesn't like the sound of it very much.

He noticed (like many users here on TB), that the aluminium speaker in the combo is crap and that the combo sounds much better with nice external speaker (4 ohm, disconnects the internal 4 ohm aluminium crap)

He is looking into building decent external 4 ohm cabinet (preferably with 15" speaker).

I got 2 questions:
    1. Which solution is better - building decent cab, that could be later used with another amp, or swapping the inernal speaker for something better (cheaper than building whole cab)
    2. Depends on question 1 - what kind of speaker should he buy for the cab (4 strings player, 4ohm cab, 15" driver, I assume front ported box, 120W amplifier - 150-200w speaker?, not huge dimensions of cab) or in case of swapping the internal speaker - what does fit the combo and sound good in it?

Thanks a lot! :bassist:

2. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i would do the following: put in a mid-price emminece 12" driver, 8 ohms, and install a jack at the rear, wired parallel, to add any 8 ohms cab later. you could then get yourself any cheap 8 ohms cab, say a 15", to increase volume. and sell the shiny-looking alloy cone speaker at ebay!

3. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Amen!

4. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    yeah, it looks like good advice. The original speaker crapped out and the amp is now on warranty repair I think. Surprising? :D