1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

External cab for my combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EduUY, Jan 8, 2018.

1. EduUY

EduUY

Jun 22, 2017
    So, I wasted like 2 hours reading some pee wars and ego kids in some posts here around, and questions about the same I'm going to ask were not answered, more like there were 2 sides making war to each other and fighting like kiddos.. sorry if there are more post with info like this I will ask, but most of them are really contaminated with ego wars or are too general, I'm presenting a particular case..

I'm a completely noob in cabs, I always used combo amps everything out of the box, and now its time to upgrade for bigger shows.

The thing is i own a combo from SWR, the workingpro 2x10c, 400watt RMS @ 4ohm amp, but it comes standalone with 2x10 speakers @8ohm giving out half of the power.. In the back it has an extension cabinet output which says “Minimum 8ohm, 200 watt total power”.
    I find the sound of this swr bit too much scooped, like too much lows and highs, but i don't like its middles.. i like more the hartke sound i found on a small hydrive hd combo..

i went to the local music store and the vendor tried to sell me just from once an aguilar 2x10 expensivest 2x10 cab on the shop, that's why i come here because you are experienced pro bassists not shop vendors...he said for an swr amp i need a good cab and that's why he offeder aguilar....

The option i was really thinking of because of power and price its Hartke 2x10 xl, 200 watts rms at 8 ohm 2x10 cab the same my amp can give, its cheap, i have read good reviews of its sound, and it has 200 watts, its dimensions fit exactly over my SWR, and it would add good definition in midd range.
    Do i need something bigger than 200 watts to have some power margin or it would be ok to match 200w amp with 200w cab?

Other options including the aguilar, although all more expensive than hartke 2x10 XL, are:
    -TC ELECTRONIC BC210 2x10 250 watt RMS @8ohm which i could only sit vertically over my SWR combo, the dimensions match just for that, it would be ugly but 2x10 on the floor horizontally and above 2x10 vertically..frankeinstein lol
    -TC electronic BC212 also 250 watts and also i can stack it verticall, 2 x10 horizontal and 2x12 vertical above that...

-1x15 hartke hydrive HD, 500 watts @8ohm
    -aguilar 210DB 350 watt @8ohm

but still, it has any point investing more money in a cab which has more power rating that 200 watts if i only can output 200 watts to it? only maybe if in future i will buy a new amp head with more power and i want to use it with that cab with no problem..or its good to have a more RMS rated speaker than my amp? what would be the sweet spot for the cab power if i have this 200w amp?

20180108_103945.

20180108_104020.

some pictures for you to get inspired..
    I don't have much budget problems, but i don't want to toss money or have bad quality sounding, my priority is the overall sound quality and power i will get with the combo and the cab.

sorry for extended post, hope someone can help me, thank you

Attached Files:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The Aguilar that your local dealer has is the best option since budget is not an issue. The build quality and sound is in another league compared to the other stuff you listed. Sounds like your local guy knows what he's talking about.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Aqualung60 likes this.
  3. EduUY

EduUY

Jun 22, 2017
    thanks for replaying, yeah they might be better quality alone comparing with the hartke alone, but combined with the power that my amp can give, 200w RMS , can i still get a nice sound from the aguilar considering its 350 watts RMS power and I'm pluging 200 watts? its about 57% power of the max RMS power of that aguilar cab, I read some guys saying underpowering a cab can damage the speaker or something like that, the hartke would be 100% powered would it sound better and safer?

4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    350watts is the MAXIMUM thermal rating of the Aguilar. You can drive it with 1/2 watt if you want to, as long as you don't go too far over 350. 200 is very safe. Underpowering is not a thing.

On the other hand, the cheaper Harte will be at it's maximum and knowing SWR it will probably produce more power than its rated for so you will probably toast that in no time.

Get the Aguilar. On down the road when you get a new amp you'll be glad you did.

Aqualung60, EduUY and Lobster11 like this.
  5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    If you like to really crank it up, a 350 to 400 watt cab would be safer.

If you try hard enough, you can wreck a speaker using an amp that is rated lower than the cab... Not from underpowering, but from exceding mechanical limits or even wattage if you dime all the knobs.

EduUY likes this.
  6. EduUY

EduUY

Jun 22, 2017
    how I can break it mechanically? if I get a 350w cab I can break it and the 200 cab not? I think I didn't understand properly because you both telling me to get the 350 but then here you said I can break it, how can I do?

I have 5 string mm active bass and I like to slap, its hot, and the amp has a limiter, don't know if it helps

7. EduUY

EduUY

Jun 22, 2017
    for example, what happens if I connect a svt 8x10 cab to this amp asumming i match the impedances? I break the speaker mechanically but not thermal?

8. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

Essentially, the 350 watt rating is the THERMAL rating of the speaker. That gives you a general idea of how much power/heat it can stand before it melts down.

What he's saying about MECHANICAL basically means that no matter how much power your amp produces, you can destroy any speaker by cranking up too much gain, EQ, distortion, or other things that make the speakers physically work harder and push them beyond their physical limits. This is one of the things that make an Aguilar cab so much better than something like a Hartke, despite there not being a huge difference in the thermal rating. The drivers are just made so much better.

mcnach and eriky4003 like this.
  9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You CAN do either one. But under normal usage, you should be fine.

Kinda like you CAN blow the engine in your car by going 40mph, IF you never take it out of first gear.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    You might consider an EDEN D210xlt. Great full range cab and "cousin" of SWR. They're not cheap but if you ever wanted to upgrade your rig, the EDEN would be a great foundation. 2 of them really deliver!
    Also, at 400watts rms with ext cab, your SWR has plenty of power for all but the biggest gigs.

Standalone, jchrisk1 and Rip Van Dan like this.
  11. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    You absolutely can use the DB210 with your SWR COMBO. Only risk of blowing anything is if you push your amp past its limits but that would be true regarding any speaker cab. The Aggie drivers are robust and would likely take more abuse than the Hartke cab you mentioned.

eriky4003 likes this.
  12. OP,
    I used to regularly pop my 15" speaker in a Peavey 1516 cabinet by overpowering the cab (I was an idiot and thought my amp would provide power linearly - eg. 5/10 gain meant only half the watts would go to the speaker). My last shenanigan was to replace my 15" speaker with a 500 watt Black Widow 15" speaker thinking my amp (only rated at 350 watts) could never in a million years pop that speaker. My smiley faced eq (high bass, low mids, high highs) and pushed volume made short work of the 15". Back to the drawing board...
    Mmmbongo and others are trying to save you from mine, and other bassists, plight. Better to have a more robust cabinet with better speakers than just a cab that meets your minimum requirement.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  13. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    SWR amps are notorious for having a "scooped" midrange. There's been a lot of discussion through the years on TalkBass about how to improve the sound of SWR amps. You might be able to improve your tone, without spending any money or buying new gear, by tweaking the EQ and Aural Enhancer settings.

Here are a couple of useful discussions about how to deal with the characteristic SWR mid-scoop:

"Flat" settings for SWR?
    SWR Aural Enhancer Bypass

Standalone, EduUY and ahc like this.
  14. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Look for a used SWR Goliath Jr. II or III. You'll save a bunch of $$$ and you'll have a 350 watt cab that will match very well with the combo cab.

SJan3 likes this.
  15. EduUY

EduUY

Jun 22, 2017
    thanks guys all, I'm considering all your comments. I have a few more questions..

1) Those cabs which says in the specs 4 or 8 ohms (like the aguilar), have a switch or something that makes them 4 or 8 or usually are sold separately under the same model code?

2) About the combination of speakers, knowing SWR sound, would you rather add this combo a 2x10 instead of a 1x15? I mean its a good choice to choose a 2x10 + 2x10 ?

3) I don't understand why this guy connects a 200watt cab with 1000watt amp , why the speakers don't blow

sry if i'm abusing of your knowledge, i'm just exited about getting a cab and i wonder lots of things at same time lol

thank you for trying to save me mrbongo and company

16. EduUY

EduUY

Jun 22, 2017

this will be very handly thank you

17. I have cab OCD and would dedicate my life to finding a matching SWR working pro 210 8 ohm cabinet, to complete the set.
    But that is just me.

SJan3 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  18. EduUY

EduUY

Jun 22, 2017
    well I love he lows of my swr with the musicman full low pre activated, soo sticky and elastic, and now that you say, I wont ruin the overall tone by attaching a sh1t cabinet to it, I think now every mark is a popie.. maybe I try to find some old school swr cab or eden one..

but in the 2018 what brand you guys think would be swr grandchildren? Like, comparable to it in sound.. so I attach something similar if I cant get the old school stuff

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  19. The higher the rating for a cab, the better... as in it'll be more likely to survive if it got pushed too hard (boosting too much the bass EQ and cranking up the volume could get you there), but the main point is getting something that sounds good together with your combo: any chance you can test them together before you buy? Some cabs pair better than others.

I'd forget about the TC Electronic BC series, 'though. They do look nice, but they aren't very good.

EduUY likes this.
  20. That is complete BS.

If the cab is rated thermally at 350W, that's not a bad thing at all. It'll take more 'effort' to damage it. You could pair it to a cab rated at 2000W if you wish, as long as it were 8 ohm

EduUY and Killed_by_Death like this.