1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

External Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rush1988, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. Rush1988

    Rush1988 Guest

    May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta
    Do external cabinets usually require their own power supply, or does the head feed the power to them?

  2. CS


    Dec 11, 1999
    THere's 3 ways of getting noise from a cab. In no particular order


    So if you are using a head plug in the cab using a speaker cable . If you are using a combo check to see if it has an extra output and plug that in. However there is a complication.

    THe amp will have a minimum resistance that it can work at. A common scenario is this

    300w combo with a min of 4ohm. Internal speaker is 8ohm. You have to use an 8ohm cab. Using a 4 ohm cab gives you 2.67ish ohms which is under 4ohms and could result in smoke and a trip to a tech. Some amps run at 2ohms. IT should say on the cab and on the amp what they are.

    If you use say a 300w head with two outputs and a min of 4 ohm, you can use two 8 ohm cas or one 4 ohm cab. However if you use a 4 ohm cab you cannot use anymore.

    Accugroove have a switch to select 4 or 8 ohms on the cab.

    Tube amps have a switch or selector with options. SOme run at 16 8 and 4 ohms. Some run at 8 and 4 ohms some run at 4 and 2 ohms.

    Always check what you have.