Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

External hard drives

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Any brands to avoid? I'm thinking about getting a AcomDatat 80 gig external.

But I also see TEAC, Ion, Maxtor... some others with varying degrees of memory.

I'm trying to keep it under $120.

Or, would I be better off getting a second internal hard drive? (which I can get another 120 gig for about the same)

Advice?

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Well, you'll want to avoid using the term 'memory' to describe HD storage. And unless you need to move the drive between machines I would get an internal long before an external.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry, barely comp. literate. I keep up on what I need to in order to avoid being an ignoramus, but that's about it.

4. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Common mistake... I'm curious if you will be moving the HD between computers. If so, will you be using USB 1.0 or 2.0 High Speed or Firewire?

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not really, but it's a possibility. I just need more storage space, and I thought it might be nice to have it external, for backup purposes; not to mention I'm sure I could find some use for a portable hard drive.

6. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Ahh, yes, it is a seductive feature. The downsides are slower transfer speeds on most interfaces when compared to most internal drives and greater cost per MB. These are generalizations.

If you wanted to occasionally transfer lots of data a CDR or two or three might be better.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have an Acom 80 Gig drive but Imnot sure if its the same model as yours.

Trust me, external can be very useful. When my old computer died and I got my new PC it was cake transfering all the music I already had on the external drive. All I had to do was plug it in and it was there.

I use firewire to connect mine. I think its supposed to be faster but I really dont know much about computers.

Do it, you know you want to.

8. Having just formatted my computer, I used a portable hard-drive to back up a fair amount of data. I was using USB 1.0 and I have to say it did take a long time. USB 2.0 would have been a whole lot quicker, wish i had it. I really am thinking about buying an internal hard-drive, data transfer is so much quicker and if i do need to use it in another computer i can just pull it out and switch it across.

YMMV

Bassis

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I want one of those very bad, for the same reasons as you mentioned (backups and so on). I see a lot of stuff from LaCie, but I'm not sure if it's any good or not. There's probably a site out there that's like a bgra.net for computer goodies, where people rate them.

10. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    If you old computer dies you can just slave your old internal HD to your new computer and no transfer is required.

Usually.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Problem is my computer was both outdated and the old HD was filled with so much spyware and garbage that even after running all those recommended programs I would have to reformat to save it.

Plus it was outdated.

With a seperate external thats not an issue.

12. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Spyware on a slaved drive is not a major problem because the cues to execute the code will not be present in the registry or startup files. Unless it was IDE and your mobo only has SATA its age shouldn't be a problem. And your external drive might be outdated in five years, too. Imagine trying to use one of those old parallel-port external drives now.

But maybe you just wanted something new? That I can understand.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aight, so what's this USB 1.0 and 2.0 stuff? I wasn't aware there were two. Is the 2.0 what you see pretty commonly out there now on flash keys, portable mp3 players, ect?

And I believe I've got firewire on the back of this beast, but I'd have to check.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It looks the same but is faster.

I know that at least for the iPod transfer speeds are

USB < USB 2.0 < Firewire

15. They are different standards(protocols??) USB 1.0 runs at 12Mb/sec while USB 2.0 speed is 480Mb/sec.
    Oh and USB 2.0 is backwards compatable with USB 1.0 as well, so that you can plug a USB 1.0 hard drive into a USB 2.0 port but not the other way around.

I'm not sure about firewire but i think it is faster than USB 2.0.

Ok I just did a search, apparently fire wire has max of 400Mb/sec.

Bassis

*Too fast for me Nick Man*

16. Internal or external is probably a matter of personal needs and wants.
    I purchased an internal hard drive and an external kit, that plugs in via USB2. I store all my music, tabs and video on it. I do this for 2 reasons. 1- my computer is fairly old and I do not want something to happen to it and find I am unable to retrieve all my music. 2) when your hard drive goes above %70 capacity, your performance starts to slow down (not your bass performance, just the computer performance :) ).
    3) I have an old computer in by my bass that I use when I want to jam with a cd etc, and this way I can unplug the external from one computer and move it to another with ease.

Hope this helps

17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hows about a rack? (no, not preamp + poweramp ;) )
    Its internal, so faster, but if you need it, you can pull it out and carry it with you.
    But, you can also store stuff on CD-Rw or nowadays DVD-RW is slowly spreading (4,7 Gigabyte on a single disc!), that plus an internal HDD, which is cheaper and has usually more Gigas

18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My son recently bought a Memorylabs
    120 GIG, USB 2.0 external drive for 129.00
    that included the external case.
    Shipping is extra from CA

www.memorylabs.com

He and his geek buddies came up with that as the
    best deal. That was at xmas, so prices may have come
    down or storage gone up.

He stores all his loops and soundforge stuff there, lots
    of space. Has worked out well for him, and he uses it on 2 computers in the house, no problem. Very portable.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn. I think I see a Memorylabs hard drive in my future. A 120 gig one.

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    A second internal is so much cheaper.... so why go external?