Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

external preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Jun 11, 2003.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    greetings all...

i was wondering what external preamps people recommend. i'm a big fan of avalon's stuff and am looking for other comprable products. i'd like to see stuff in the thousand dollar range (give or take a few hundred). please post all suggestions...

THANKS!

2. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    I am sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "external". Just in case 19" rack-mount devices are included, I'd suggest the Hevos Dual-Tube-Preamp which I purchased a few weeks ago. Amazing sound and it never distorts (read the product info).

Greets
    Johannes

3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    19" rack-mount devices, foot pedal pres, pretty much anything that isn't onboard for the actual instrument. i'm looking into some pre-amps, but really want to get a feel for what's out there and what's worth my time and investigation.

Definately send all recommendations my way!

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Avalon, Aguilar, Demeter, Ampeg, Eden, EBS, and Epifani pre's are all quite popular around here. Ultimately it comes down to the sound you like the best. If you're a big fan of Avalon, why not stick with that? They are among the best pre's on the market according to what I read here.

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I agree, Avalon is amoung the best out there (from what my ears have heard), but there are always new products coming out and smaller companies doing just as good work as the known guys so I'm trying to get a good scope on what to check out...especially being that there is so much these days, and then i'll let my ears make the final decisions.

I'm amassing a project studio and I'm trying to get a few different sounding preamps together so that I can effectively have nice warm sounds for all instruments and vocals, which is why I ask.

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming!

6. check out the pre amp shootout thread. it even has sound clips!