Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

External Speaker HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pharmaecopia, Apr 29, 2001.

1. I have the Peavey Combo 115. And I was wantimg to get an External speaker...perhaps a 4X10. Anyways....on the back it says "External speaker minimum 4 ohms..........Jack paralleled with 4 ohm internal speaker....minimum amplifier load 2 ohms........210 Rms 4 ohm.....300w RMS 2 ohms.." (hope that's not to confusing). What does all that mean in english. Do I have to match the ohms....do I need a 4 ohm external speaker, or a 2 ohm...and how much will I get out of it...the 300 or the 210....

Also...im looking into getting a Ampeg 4x10 for the external. Is there any problem mixing the peavey with the Ampeg...or does it only matter what ohms and if they match....please help...
    Any help is appreciated....Thanks!!

2. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    hi there

Well .. If your internal speaker is 4 ohm
    you can add another 4 ohm , But why should you do that ?

ONLY WITH 2 X 4 OHM SPEAKERS !:
    4 + 4 = 2 ohm

If you say :300w 2ohms ,it means you can get a maximum of 300 watts of musical power out of you amp with a total impedance of 2 ohms

Every mix with diferent cab/amps makes a different sound , try it and like or dislike it !! :)

Some electronics links :
    http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/basics/resistance.htm
    http://www.epanorama.net/basics.html

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I answered this in Jeff Berlin's thread.

4. If it came from Jeff's forum, I don't know how it ended up here since it should be in the AMPS forum. :mad:

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ol' Pharm thought Jeff would be able to answer it. Here's what I said over there.

If I were you, I'd get an 8-ohm cab to avoid running at 2 ohms (which is what would happen if you plugged in a 4-ohm cab). Even though the amp may be rated to play at 2 ohms, it's not the best idea to do it. If you use an 8-ohm extension cab, you'll be running at 2.67 ohms and you'll have a little factor of safety built in. Your power will be somewhere between the 210 watts and 300 watts ... probably something like 250 watts at 2.67 ohms.

While not a guru of equipment, I am a gear head. I make up for any low self esteem I may get from mediocre playing by doing the mediocre playing on first-rate equipment.

There y'go.

6. Didn't i hear somewhere that it is dangerous to run an amp with an Ohm mis-match, with 2.67 ohms being a mismatch of 8 and 4 ohm cabs? or am i wrong.. i really dont know..:D

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you run one 4 ohm cab in parallel with one 8 ohm cab you will get a total impedance of 2.67 ohms, but the 4 ohm cab will get twice as much power as the 8 ohm cab. That's why mismatching impedances is a bad idea. If the Peavey amp is rated to go down to 2 ohms I don't see anything wrong with getting another 4 ohm cab and running at 2 ohms total impedance.

8. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    in theory : it is ok !

But if you do this you'll ask everything from your amp , that's not an ideal situation . Imagine your playing at a very hot stage , your amp has its own
    vetilation but when the cooling air is already hot your amp gets hotter and hotter => either your amp
    turns off on stage or it blows itself up !

I've learned not to push things to the max.
    It's not safe to ride with your car at topspeed ,
    It's not safe to take your turns at the last moment ,
    etc . You see what I mean ?