1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

External speaker in series - is it a lost cause? Roland CB-100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GlennW, Oct 11, 2013.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I have a Roland CB-100 (Cube 100 Bass) 1x12 combo amp, and would like to get more volume.

I tried running two combos, but kept getting a white noise in the second amp. That was with either amp first, and trying both the Line Out and the Tuner Out jacks. It seemed like a good idea, but didn't work.

Then I tried an 8 Ohm 1x10 ext cab, and it was quieter than the combo by itself.

Specs say 8 Ohm MAX for ext cab. Searching shows people get better results with a 4 Ohm ext cab with that amp because the ext cab jack is in series.

I thinking about getting another 8 Ohm 10" speaker and making a 4 Ohm 2x10 ext cab, but am wondering if it would be a waste of time and money to do so.

Do you think the 2x10 ext cab would be worth the trouble, or should I just accept the amp as a 1x12 combo?

2. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I am pretty sure that to run two combos, you need to split the signal coming from your bass (with something like an ABY box).

For the external cab, I think it strange that it says MAX 8 Ohm, usually that would be minimum.

However, I am sure that the experts will be here soon!

3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not worth it IMHO.

You can get a TC Electronics BG 250 for $255 shipped this weekend. Loud enough for any gig I have ever played. There's no provision for an ext speaker but I've never needed one either.

4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    That's because most amps have the ext speaker jack wired in parallel, but this one is in series - as GlennW said.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    You own what a lot of folks would call a practice amp. I would not put money into it rather put that money toward a better, more powerful amp.

6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Ok, but why would it give you a MAX ohm rating, is it a tube amp?

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks, guys. I'll leave it alone.

I like the amp, and was hoping the option of running two amps would give it more flexibility, but that just didn't pan out.