Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

external speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pharmaecopia, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Hello,

I have the Peavey Combo 115. And I was wantimg to get an External speaker...perhaps a 4X10. Anyways....on the back it says "External speaker minimum 4 ohms..........Jack paralleled with 4 ohm internal speaker....minimum amplifier load 2 ohms........210 Rms 4 ohm.....300w RMS 2 ohms.." (hope that's not to confusing). What does all that mean in english. Do I have to match the ohms....do I need a 4 ohm external speaker, or a 2 ohm...and how much will I get out of it...the 300 or the 210....

Also...im looking into getting a Ampeg 4x10 for the external. Is there any problem mixing the peavey with the Ampeg...or does it only matter what ohms and if they match....please help...
    Any help is appreciated....Thanks!!

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Some points

Welcome to the board!

For tech stuff search out people like Joris

Ohms-your amp can run at 4 or 2 Ohms from what you posted. Its delivering reduced power into the internal speaker that jumps up to full power when you connect a speaker.

Simplistically speaking its better to use a 4 ohm cab

getting it wrong can cause problems (like blowing your amp up if it runs under 2 Ohms)

Hopefully some else can explain it better.