1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Extinct" Monkey Found

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Read about this earlier today. Wonder how long before its head is mounted on a collectors wall? :(

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    There may be one of those living under my house.

3. Nice to see this happening, especially when it tends to be things going the other way. . .

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If I could just be the guy roaming along through the woods and come along some species of something that is believed to be extinct and be able to tell everyone I found one....how cool would that be?

Then again, maybe I have. I'm really not into whatever the "ology" is about species to even know if I found something people thought was extinct.

-Mike

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Why do we need to send a group of scientists in to disturb them just to count them? Why upset a habitat that has obviously protected them?

6. Probably because it isn't just the scientific community that knows they exist. You'll run the risk of people saying "I want one".

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know that except for the recording in Arkansas, the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker has been thought to be extinct since the 1940s. I know that was not the case the because one used to come into my backyard regularly during the early 1970s (1971-1974.) It was wild seeing one, imagine a woodpecker that is two feet tall!:eek: I lived about seven miles from a really large swamp. I remember that activists tried to prevent logging because they had recorded Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers in the swamp (Wateree River Swamp between Sumter,Richland, and Kershaw Counties, SC.) I asked my Mom if she would call the state, and tell them about the woodpecker in our backyard. She did not do it, and after the trees were cut in the swamp around 1974, I never saw the bird again.

8. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    As a hobbyist birder, I think it's really cool you got to see that. Sad ending though :/

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It was amazing every time that Ivory-Bill would fly into the backyard!:cool: I had a few books about the birds of North America, and I knew it was an Ivory-Billed Woodpecker. It was a privilege to see that bird for several years. I remembere when the swamp was logged, it was darn near clear cut, and it took it around twenty years to recover.