1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Extra cabinet or two amps, which is best!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kar77, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Kar77

Kar77

May 5, 2010
    Hi there,

I own a MB 121 combo and want some more power. I was thinking to use an extra cabinet but maybe it gives more power to buy an extra combo (and therefore use two amps!) What do you think is soundwise the best option?

thanks, Kar

2. Extra cab.

3. GENRLEE

GENRLEE

Jul 16, 2012
    What you guys think of running a peavey 300 combo (equipped with 15" black widow) biamped with a Fender Bassman250 head and a 4x10 and 1x15? Too much? Been told to use the peavey combo with the fender 15 and run the bassman250 with the 4x10. the 2 15's will be for the lows and the 4x10s for the highs. True?

4. A common misconception is that a 410 cab doesnt produce as much low end as a 115 or 215 cab. How do you intend to "bi-amp" this setup? Just curious....

5. 10's are not midrange or tweeters, and could possibly have better low end response than your 15's depending on what cabs you have.

6. If the combo supports it, then yet it is the cheapest way to gain power from the amp, and increase sensitivity from adding speakers.

wait... what? I would run the 15's together, or the 410 by itself.

+1 Yeah how are you going to biamp?

+1 again. Its the whole cab design that determines the frequency response, not just driver size.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Original question...extra cab.

8. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    OK now I'm confused....(again).

Are we saying that an extension cab connected to the original combo amp will provide a higher SPL than two combos?

I would have to hear it to believe it....

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not a higher SPL, but equal for all intents and purposes. Adding a second cab to the one combo is 500w, while two combos is 600w. You might get a little bump in headroom, but if you can hear the difference between 500 and 600w, especially in those cabs that can't take 300w each in the first place (yes, I know they're rated at 400w...good luck putting even 300w into them), then you have superhuman hearing.

10. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    OK, I'll buy that. But for the OP, I looked at the GK website and the current MB 121 II is rated at 200 W and has no extension speaker output that I can see.....how can he hook up another cab without going inside to rewire?

11. It wouldn't be higher, but it would be almost the same.

Adding the extra cab will lower the impedance of the load which the amp will 'see', increasing the power. Going from 8 ohms to 4 ohms will let the amp reach (almost) twice as much power from the amp.

(assuming you add an additional speaker which is comparable to the one in the combo).

12. If it doesn't have the option, then it shouldn't be something the OP is considering. Trying to simply add another cab (by fiddling with the wires in the combo) could lower the impedance of the amp beyond the operating specs and fry it!

13. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South

Yep...true. It is a bit confusing on their website because they seem to have more than one name for their 112 combo and apparently another 112 combo thats actually called an MB150.....and that one (apparently) can support an extension cab but only rated at 100W.

The point of all this for the OP is that if his combo doesn't support an extension cab, the only option is another combo or replace with something at a higher wattage rating.

14. *HIJACK* :eek:

Don't waste your time biamping, run the peavey if it is enough otherwise run the fender stack, why do you need to run both?

15. Wait is the MB 121 combo a GK or Markbass combo?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Good question. When I hear MB 121, I think of the Markbass CMD 121p. Thought that's what he was talking about.

17. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South

Hmmmmm....nevermind.....:D

The GK is a 112 NOT a 121......

Sorry.

18. If it's a markbass combo then add an extra 121 cab and that will be a simpler cheaper solution. another combo isn't really necessary

19. NOTE: GK doesn’t make an MB121 combo - the OP has a Markbass 121 combo.

Hi Kar, two 121 combo amps will give you more power and volume than just adding an ext cabinet to your 121 combo. However, I’d get the external cabinet that Markbass recommends for whichever 121 combo you have first, and if you still need more power, volume (SPL) after that then I’d slave a second 121 combo w/ext cab.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry to correct you in front of everyone, Joe, but it will only add 100w with the combo can and a NY121 extension. 300w alone, 500w with the extension, 600w with two combos.

Wall of combos ;)