1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Extra hiles in bass cab due to changed castors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallist, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Hi TBer's,
    I recently changed the casters on my Ampeg 15inch cab and am now left with 4 holes from where the existing casters were (the existing ones were the removable which actually went into the enclosure).
    Would this change the sound of the cab or is it simply my ears playing tricks on me?
    Sorry for the vague description! :)

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Wouldn't hurt to seal them with some silicone.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Would really help to seal them, you now have a leaky cab, which will do nothing but hurt the sound.

Can fill them with silicone caulk as mentioned for a temporary fix. For a permanent fix, if they are large holes, get a wood dowel of the appropriate diameter and glue pieces of that in the holes. Small screw holes can be fixed by dipping wood toothpicks or matchsticks in glue and forcing them in the holes.

4. Ok.
    I have found some MDF timber in my shed (full of random stuff like that...). It is roughly 5mm thick.
    What if I cut smallish squares then stuck these (with silicone or liquid adhesive) over the top of the holes then screwed the new wheels back into the MDF?

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good concept, but MDF sucks. Structurally it's way down at the bottom of the list. Use plywood, any scrap of any thickness you have laying around. Even a piece of 1x4 or even 2x4 would be better than MDF. Glue it over the holes from the inside. Run screws up into it from the outside bottom to pull all that stuff together while the glue dries.

6. So long as your new screws miss the old holes and get well into the cab. The 5mm mdf is tissue paper.

7. I scrapped the MDF and siliconed up the holes. Had a gig last night and seemed to have been ok.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good call.