Extra long, extra large strings? (Ken Smith and Bill Conklin)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Chambers, May 10, 2002.

1. Chambers

Apr 9, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    Hey guys,
    I'm thinking of building a 36" scale 6 string, tuned low F# to high G. I'm having difficulty finding the proper strings. The only options I've come up with for the low F# so far are Conklin's snake skins (at $70/set) or Ken Smith singles (at $46/set). Does anyone know if Ken Smith's long singles are long enough for a 36" scale? My headstock design is on the smaller side, so I won't need too much length past the nut. Are there any other string options I haven't found?
  2. Hi:
    You might want to check in the string forum. I have read discussions on strings for basses w/ extended string lengths, like the Dingwalls basses (which have a 37" B string). Dingwall sells string(s) specifically for his basses, as well as DR Hi-beams also make extra long strings which Mr Dingwall mentioned as fitting his basses. The problem is this low F#, I have NOT seen a string for this, esp at this length.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Ahh yesss, Satan here,

Sooooo, let me tell ya a place ya can go for all your string desires. Call Fodera @ 718-832-3455, they WILL make ANYTHING you want! I presently use a .168 B on my Zon Legacy (tuned to A) and it sounds BRUTAL! They have the best strings & customer service in the business. Hope this can help all you poor mortals out with your quest for tone...

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i get my low F#'s from Dean Markley. i've gotten a few, thanks to a friend, that were .165", which is a suitable size for them, imo. they also make a .150" for the low F#, but imo that's a bit small.