Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

extra long scale nickel rw's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by paintballjunkie, Feb 17, 2006.

1. paintballjunkie

paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    Indiana
    who makes nickel round wound's for a six string long enough to fit a 35in. scale and string through body? i've been using d addario's, but the "b" and "e" strings start to taper off before the nut. the bass came with La Bella strings but i didn't see any six string nickel sets on their site.
    thanks.

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Hopefully Ernie Ball does, because I just ordered a set of long scale Regular Slinky strings for my JO5. And I'm gonna be rather perturbed if I can't string through the body. :)

But who else makes them? I'm kind of curious as to what my options are. I was surprised to find while cruising juststrings.com that the pickings are kind of slim in the long scale dept.

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Most D'Addario strings are available in Super Long lengths. The part number is the same as for Regular Long, just with SL added to the end. I'm not sure if they make any SL .032's though.

msquared: I'm pretty sure the regular long scale Slinky's go through body on Laklands. I have an old set here with 2 bends near the ball end (1 at the ferrule, 1 at the saddle).

paintballjunkie: DRs are all extra long scale, but the nickel wound options are only 2. Nickel Lo-Riders (hex core) and Sunbeams (round core).

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Update: Nope. About an inch too short, at least on the B and E strings. Had to string through the bridge instead, and even then I barely made it past the nut.

EB Slinkys sound decent on my JO5 but not great like they did on the SR5. I'll probably take them off and get something different fairly soon.

5. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    용산 서울 한국
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    have the same problem with my MG Q6, darn b and e are not to the nut. Solution, d'addario Super Long.
    D'Addario EPS170-6SL ProSteels Regular Light Gauge
    theyre light and steel, but theyre cheap and fit

6. DR long necks are a taper wound string with a winding length of 37.75 but they are stainless steel.sunbeams and lowriders also have 37.75" winding but no exposed\taper core and are nickel.Fender Superbass (nickel)have 38.5" of winding. GHS KenSmith Warwick Zon and Spector all have nickel sets that are 38" winding..hope this helps

7. i recommend DR Sunebams

I have them on my 55-02 and they string through the body and 35" scale no problem... i don't know for sure if they make 6 string sets though.