Extra long scale strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NeopocracyBass, Feb 16, 2004.

1. NeopocracyBass

Feb 16, 2004
    I just got an Ibanez BTB 405 and it has and extra long scale neck and now I'm not sure what strings to get. Any recomendations?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I believe that you can get extra-long strings from both GHS and D'Addario. Probably others as well. Just check their websites.
  3. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I believe that your bass has a 35" scale which does not necessarily require Extra Long strings. According to D'Addario, here's how to measure string scale:

1) Mark the lowest pitched string at the nut with a marker
    2) Remove the string and measure the distance from the inner edge of the ball end to the mark (that you made in item 1). Record this length (it's your string scale) and refer to the chart below

up to 32" short scale
    32" - 34" medium scale
    34" - 36" long scale
    36" - 38" super long scale

Again, this is D'Addario's criteria, but you get the point. :)

In the event that you do need extra long strings, they shouldn't be terribly hard to get. Though you might have to buy 'em online.

4. bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    Hey, are you sure D'addario makes stings in a 38" scale, because i've been trying to track down all the manufacturers that make strings that long. Thanks!
  5. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yep. D'Addario Super Longs are 36" to 38".

6. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    You will need superlog strings on Your BTB (I´ve got one myself) cause there is an extra length between the bridge saddles and the ancor lokated half through the body.
    I use Daddario XL superlong scale (but I´m thinkin about changing to EXL (coated) (se thread above)
  7. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Forgott to say that I saw in an Ibanez add. that all their BTB1005 are strunged with ELIXIR strings, so they should fit.
    Maybe You should contact Ibanez and ask.Please tell me if you get any answer
  8. loma

Sep 27, 2003
    making it simple for you, buy DR Low RIders
  9. I've used both D'Addario Chrome flats (ECB81-SL) and Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats (JF345) on my BTB405. The JF345's are said to be for a 34" scale bass, but will fit the BTB (the B-string by only 1/4" to spare). The ECB81-SL's are said to be for a 36" scale, are plenty long for the BTB, but also work well.