'extra' note in Rearranged verse?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    How does Sam Rivers get that extra sound in rearranged in the hammer-pull-hammer bits in the verse? My friends keep taking the piss cos I can't play it 'properly', I'm doing what it says in the tab... Grrrr (to Sam Rivers)
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You can start by not asking the same question in two threads :(
  3. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Yeah, I'm afraid your gonna have to be more specific. There are a lot of extra sounds in songs. And uhhh... "My friends keep taking the piss" ... that one is new to me
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    taking the piss means bunging it on him, teasing him. but the poor guy is asking how to play a bloody(aussie slag there) good song properly. and yeah well i have no idea what ur freinds are on about but the way it says in the tabs is the right way sam(the mighty man) plays it and he even plays it the same on the re-arranged video clip(if u look very closely) coz im sitting here with the album playing, the video going and my geetar on my lap and it sounds fine
  5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Sorry Pacman it's just that it wasn't a dedicated thread and I wanted it answered, in future I'll edit t from the other posts, but I thought I'd hedge my bets this time;)
  6. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    You Aussies kill me. Quazy Quazy.

practicing and listening are the only way to fix this one I'm afraid. Figure out where you are off first (if you cant tell, then listen over and over til it hits you), then practice til you can play it.

easy answer but hard to accomplish.
  7. noPass/noNick

Apr 12, 2001
    can you describe in high detail what is that "extra sound"?
    i don't hear any weird or extra sound on that line
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There's the first problem. Once you have the basic structure, lose the tab (we won't discuss why you shouldn't use tab in the first place...). Now it's time to use your ears and fine tune the part. I'm not sure what you mean by "extra note", but you might be referring to the quick I-V-VIII that finishes off the riff. Listen to it closely, and then play along with it. One trick I found that actually helps is to play a cassette on high-dub speed and follow the bass line. It tends to bring out the focus of bass lines.
    Editorial - Tab is like the instructions that come with a model car. It may show you how it goes together, but it won't give you a clue as to what the end result is supposed to be.
  9. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    No, it's in this part:

He seems to get four sounds out of it, I only get the 9 the 10 and the 9 (btw I know how to hammer and pull) he seems to get 4 sounds out of it, possibly the 9, on 10, off 10 and the 9 again. I thought I was playing it right with the way I did it but my mate said it doesn't quite sound right.
  10. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    OK, let's see if I can do tabspeak:
    Try this - D----9h10p98---8h9p8(then go to the root)-

The first triplet slides down a half step
  11. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Thanks :), now I can impress them with my wonderful bizkity skills...
  12. noPass/noNick

Apr 12, 2001
    what's wrong with tabs?

I work with tabs
    with MY tabs, since i don't trust anyone
    do the same, tab your own things, train your ear... then you'll be able to hear the bass of anything

Tip: Before trying to figure out bass lines, you must know how does sound the different techniques.... you must become very familiar with the particular sound of the hammeron or the pulloff... Ie: a hammeron could trick your ear making you believe it's just two notes together, but that doesn't happen with a pulloff... the second note of a hammeron has as many attack as the first note... but that doesn't happen with the pulloff, since the second note of the pulloff has very little attack cause is made by a release

so, i don't think that hammeron pulloff sequence is right, the notes are well defined and all of them have high attack
    ( knowing the sounds you don't need to see any videos to show you whats the guy doing with his hands)

check my version of the verse of Rearranged
    (remember to paste it in notepad)

b= bend up 1/4 tone

*that "s" is placed over the third note ( that Db)
  13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    guess you will have to wait for the official
    "Sam Rivers Bass Instruction Video"

14. I don't know about all this tab.......I struggle enough with the language of music.