Extracting maximum low end from my Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 8, 2005.

1. As most of you know, I have an old 1986 Spector that has low end like you won't believe. However, it lacks the growl my Thumb does....but I want to get the same low end from the Thumb....I'm pushing my amp as hard as it will go for now. I've thought of new pickups and stuff....will this help?
  2. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Err... turn the knob marked 'Low' a bit further to the right?
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ever tried palm muting and thumb plucking? Reggae players use these techniques and they have some of the best lows out there. Other things to try are plucking near the fretboard and using a lighter touch which allows the note to blossom and not get choked.

Also adjust your eq if that doesn't give you enough lows.
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Just remember that lows require lots of power. I would also recommend a 15" speaker if you are not already using one.
  5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Definitely the bass knob on most Warwicks' preamp has plenty of low available, but if your Spector has a Tone Pump pre, then that's definitely formidable in the amount-of-boost category, and will be hard to match.
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    The Thumb pickups are pretty close to the bridge, aren't they? My guess is that this limits the low end of this particular model a bit.
  7. My Spector Thru Neck has an old spector pre amp(im not talking about the Euro LX btw). I have the EQ on full on the Thumb, and my amp is going as hard as it really can.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Extreme low end doesn't transfer live Nick. It ends up sounding like mud. The mids are where the cut and tone are at.