Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extras on a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basden, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Basden

Basden Guest

Can anyone tell me what the hell those weird chrome arch things people have on basses (usally over the strings/pickups)? I think Lemmy (of ace of spades fame) has them on his bass.

And does anyone know of any other cool add ons for basses?

I feel the need to customize my bass :D

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Those are pickup covers. They don't really play any function other than looking cool to some.

Most cool add ons for bass are just mods of existing parts (pickups, bridge, tuners, pickguard, etc.).

3. Basden

Basden Guest

Im trying to get someone I know to paint my scratch plate, but im still trying to decide the design I want, its not an easy business.....

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Pickup covers...there's a reason that people pulled those things off so frequently: they get in the way of some people's styles.

If you're talking add-ons, the coolest one (and most expensive) would be to have SIMS put LED's on your fingerboard. I talked to Stuart Spector about this, and even he endorses them!

Then, there are easier and less costly things you can do, such as changing the bridge, pickups, tuners, control knobs, pickguard/scratch plate, and so forth.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    They are not really extras, but rather were once standard on Fender's stuff. Many removed them. Just as they removed the string mutes.

I have never seen much use for the pickup cover, although my first P bass had a bridge cover and I really liked it for some things. I was in a cover band and had to play some stuff with a pick. I found it extremely comfortable to rest the heel of my hand on that cover when picking. So, there is a little bit of use for them.

Chas

6. Basden

Basden Guest

I was thinking about changing my bridge pick up, to try and get a better sound. Do you know any pickups that are good for slap bass?

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    The covers, ashtrays, as they are often called are not always for cosmetic reasons. They used to be used for grounding on old Fenders.

8. I want to hear more about these.....what exactly do they look like, and what do they do?

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    They're just little LED lights that are installed where fretboard dot markers would normally be.

Very pricey, and not very practical.

10. is there a web sight for them?

11. Umm.. try the Limp Biz**** site - their bassist has them, see if there's any pix of him and his bass...

Otherwise I have no other suggetstion, sorry :(

12. I'm in the process of upgrading my Squier P bass. I got a black pickguard, bridge cover, upgrading pick ups, new control pots, added a thumb rest... I can't think of anything else to do to it yet.

The pick up and bridge covers give your bass a real vintage look. Changing your pick guard gives some added personality also.

I wouldn't recommend painting your pickguard. If you use a pick, you will most likely scratch the paint off. Just buy a new one. I've seen white, black, pearl, and tortoise shell on ebay for a reasonable price. Also, www.pickguards.com has a large selection of styles and designs.

13. I'm still looking for a Pick Up Cover for my Rick 4001, does anyone know where I can order one online? I've tried ordering from Rickenbacker themself but that didn't quite work out.....

14. Musicians Friend has the fender pickup covers for $8.99 and the bridge covers for $12.99. I don't know if they will fit a Ric, though.

15. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    I played for a looong time on my fathers old Fender (mid to late seventies (don't know exact year)MIA). It had a cover over the bridge and bridge pickup with a big Fender-F in it, and a cover over the neck pickup. The bridge pickup cover had a kind of foam inside that muted the strings.

This didn't sound so good to me, and also the neck pickup cover was in my way terribly (it makes switching the plucking place very hard) so I took them of. Much better for playing, but also a pity: those covers looked so goooood!

Anyway: my father started playing again, he took his Fender back and I bought a Warwick Thumb n/t. More my style of sound... :cool:

16. When my bridge cover gets here, I'm gonna take the mute out of it, if it has one. I think bridge covers look nifty. The pick up covers look good, too but would interfere with my playing style, so I decided not to put it on. So, hopefully the bridge cover alone doesn't look stupid. If so, I'll order a pickup cover. I won't have to change my playing style that much.

17. you can get the lights installed on the edge markers of the fretboard only if you want. this would be practical, especialy if there is a chance that the lighting would be very dim during one part of a song or something. you know what I'm sayin? dark bars, whatever. the inlay dots that light up are basicly for the audience.

I think when I get a rick someday, I'm gonna try and leave the pickguard on. we'll see...

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think Warwick did something like laser-lit frets or something like that for last NAMM. Extremely interesting but probably extremely expensive too.

The best add-on for bassist would probably be small vidcam on headstock shooting the fretboard and large screen behind the band on where the cam pic is projected. Atleast nothing looks cooler on music videos than that.