Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extreme amp frustration...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tristan, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    This post may be slightly off-topic as it is more of a guitar question, but I wanted to post it on talkbass as you are a bunch of knowledgeable guys.

Anyways, I've had a peavey tko 115 for the past 8 or 9 years. I got it used and it has served me well and is the only bass amp i ever owned. It makes crazy popping sounds now and cuts out etc, but it doesn't owe me anything and I want a new amp so I don't really care.

Just now, I tried my guitar amp, a Carvin sx100 which i purchased used for $200 CDN which i consider to be a sweet deal. It had a similar problem. It cuts out, but instead of popping, it only makes a sound if i pick REALLY hard, and the the attack is extremely loud, but the rest of the note in inaudible. Almost like reverse compression or something. This really ticks me off, as I really like this amp, have only had it two years, haven't abused it and dont' want to pay to fix it or get a new one. Does anyone know what could cause this/how it could be fixed??? I'm pretty sure its the electronics and not the speaker cone.

Thanks,
    Tristan

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    instrument cable shorting?

active bass with dieing battery?

Bad input jack on bass?

Both amps react the same mostly right?

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That sounds like a crappy cable to me.

4. Could be overdriving the input (clipping).

5. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    i've tried a variety of cables with the same result.

both guitar and bass are passive.

COULD be the jack, but i doubt it as the bass amp makes popping noises even when not plugged in.

they are SOMEWHAT the same... the bass amp sounds normal with loud pops every few seconds. the guitar amp just sounds very quiet until i play hard, then the pick attack explodes and the note dies instantly.

6. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe you could try taking it to a guitar shop and try it on some other bass amps...

Weird things always happen to me when i plug a bass into a guitar amp, no matter how big or small, loud or soft...

: \

7. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    In both cases, I'd look for bad solder joints. In the bass amp, it will likely be on a power supply cap or a transistor. On the guitar amp, it will likely be on a transistor or resistor.