Extreme band makeover Facebook edition

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    So my band 1 day weekend is getting very little facebook love and I was hoping some of the my knowledgeable cohorts here would take a look and offer some advice.

1 Day Weekend

2. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Looks perfectly reasonable to me insofar as getting new gigs and bringing out folks you know to existing ones.

3. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    I dunno. All your pics are of an empty stage. I cant see what age you are, your stage attire, are you all girls? Got any horns? Nothing here for me to be interested in enough to want to go see you. Just being honest.

4. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    I soften my remarks. i wasnt logged in to fb. There are some videos where i do see you guys. Not a bad page. A page will only generate so much excitement, you gotta kinda remind peeps at gigs about it. We pretty book 95% of our jobs yhrough facebook and messenger

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I'm looking for honest critical feedback to go to the other band members who run the page. So outside of personal insults don't hold back. One of the problems is that we get very few likes when we publish show info.

6. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    Harsh feedback incoming:
    Get a photographer make photos with you playing on stage, don't post empty pictures - nobody cares.
    Let the photographer make photos of the audience and tag the people.

Get a proper description, what you do and a nice small video from a gig with a cool audience stickied to the top of the page

Joe Nerve and Marley's Ghost like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah the only pic of you guys is three "average Joe" looking guys in jeans at a Yankees game. The only video I checked out is blurry, not much crowd, and you guys are in shorts and T-shirts.

If you want bar gigs and private parties, dress the part. Take some nice pics (ANYWHERE BUT ON RAILROAD TRACKS OR LEANING AGAINST A FREAKING BRICK WALL).

And, since we're being honest, the band's name is kinda cheesy.

On the plus side, you guys seem pretty tight in the video.

Good luck with it.

Pacman, Joe Nerve and Marley's Ghost like this.
  8. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Total honest feedback. do NOT take it personal. but the cover band business is really competitive and your page needs help. As your page looks now, I would not be interested in seeing your band. Why?

1. too many pictures of an empty stage or of "fans" (actually Bucs fans before a football game, not really there for you, but just happen to be near the stadium before the game, correct?) and the band isn't even in the photo that is most prominent. just the backs of football fans.

2. couple of videos of what appears to be shot up high in a corner right behind with clearly someone's phone propped up of only some of you guys playing in a restaurant? With a few people all dressed up dancing in one? Those videos were not well thought out and don't present you in a good light. Should have some shot in front of you guys.

To be blunt, I would look at your page and wonder what you actually looked like and what you were about, to be honest. You could be any cover band. I would never put up pictures of my band in front of nobody or almost nobody. Better to have closeups than an empty stage in front of nobody. I would have some great "rock shot" closeups of all you guys playing, very prominent. By a professional photographer that does these sorts of things (there are lots of them in any city).

No offense, but I would look at your page and think "cheesy cover band like 2000 others who are not popular". What sets you apart? that's what tends to draw my eye when I consider seeing a new band

compare your page to the really popular cover bands in your city and that's what you should be more shooting for. They tend to have better photos, better vids, a good logo, etc. I looked it up for you. Other popular rock cover bands in Tampa.. check out Stormbringer's page. Or Phoenix. Greg Billings. Edge of Red. Grumpy. Scream Machine. you don't compare well from a presentation standpoint on FB. that's what you want to more closely mimic in terms of presentation, even if you're not exactly the same sort of band

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Joe Nerve and Marley's Ghost like this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Warning - ya ain't gonna like this... but I'm being honest.

You're not giving people anything to like. Pictures of a bunch of average Joes who got invited to play at some friend's special event, and some videos that amount to the same. Pics of empty stages, your backs... I think some closer up shots, cropped well, making it look like you guys are having some genuine fun would serve much better. Ya don't need to spend any money or find a pro, but be discerning about the pix you post, and edit them to create some sort of excitement, or appeal.

But here's the tough part. First thing I wanted to do was hear the music. Clicked on one video and that was all, Play That Funky Music. While it sounds like your fingers can do the work, that's a funky dance tune, and being completely honest - you need to work on being in the pocket some more on that. It sounds like someone playing notes over a drummer, not someone creating a dance a groove - and especially with a song like that, it's what's most important. I'd highly recommend starting to work with a metronome. Practice grooves like that super slowly until your inner clock starts getting tuned up and the music starts grooving. Having a band that people want to come see means having a band that's tight and can make people want to move to it. That particular tune wasn't cutting it for me. I didn't listen to anything else, but since it's the first video that pops up, I think it might stop others from listening any further, also.

I'd suggest, as with the pictures to get some music clips together that will put your best foot forward - or leave them out all together until you can get into a studio and record some happening tracks. Or get some live video that objective people (like people here at TB) tell you kicks a little butt. Ya can't count on friends and family with opinions on this.

I don't want to sound harsh or discouraging, I think you have the potential. I think you just need to work at it a little more if you want it to grow. And it sounds to me like you do.

PS. I kinda like the band name.

QORC likes this.