1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extreme Finger & Pick Noise

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BELLATOR, Aug 8, 2007.

1. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    I'm looking for a solution for extreme finger and pick noise. I have new SIT stainless steel round wounds on my 5-string but I notice finger and pick noise quite a lot. I also have an active EQ and EMG 40DC pickups in the 5-string so they pick up a lot more from the strings than my passive bass does. I also use a landmine sometimes for distortion so the finger and pick noise is unbelievably shrill even with the treble cut right out on the bass and pedal. I'm very interested in DR Hi-beams but I don't want to get stainless round wounds if they all sound so bright and have so much finger and pick noise. I also don't like nickel strings. Would lo-beams cut some of the bright and shrill sound I am getting? Does anyone have any other string ideas about how I could greatly reduce or eliminate finger and pick noise while still maintaining a decent amount of brightness?

2. ape

ape

Jul 26, 2007
    Beaverton, OR
    Have you tried any of the Elixer strings with the nanoweb coating? These are still fairly bright strings, but the coating provides a reduction in string noise.

On a side note, is it just me or did anyone else read this title as "Extreme finger & pick NOSE" ???

--ape--

3. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    Ape, I almost thought I posted "pick nose" instead of "pick noise" :D I haven't tried Elixir strings because I try to stay away from coated strings. I play with a pick most of the time and I've heard coatings start to shed when one plays with a pick. I've been thinking of trying the half round, fretmaster, or even flat wound strings but I'm wondering if they aren't bright enough for metal.

4. Fender 9120 Tapewounds, PLENTY bright for metal :bassist:

but if u want like, practically zero noise, use ghs tapewounds, much softer ;)

more thump tho, so maybe try the fenders:D

5. ape

ape

Jul 26, 2007
    Beaverton, OR
    Bellator, let me know what you end up going with and what the results are. I've never used anything but a roundwound string ( I play pretty much exclusively with my fingers).

--ape--

6. according to one of the most extensive polls on TB, a very, very large majority use roundwounds. There are so many different strings out there, definitely try some new ones :D

finding the perfect string is just as thrilling as getting a new bass.:p