1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EXTREME Flangers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by savinggrace, Dec 6, 2006.

1. I have a Boss BF-3 which I like how extreme some of the settings can get. The metallic coldess of it however, it usually (but not always) undesirable. Is there any other flangers BESIDES the Foxx Through Zero Flanger that is cable of more extreme settings yet retains warmth?

2. The new Electro Harmonix FLANGER HOAX should be overkill in extreme flanging..
    and there's also the Line 6 LIQUA FLANGE, which is really cheap for all the features it gives you. I'm gassing for one right now. Saw them on Ebay new for 90 Euros or so.. only downside is that you will need the original Line 6 adapter.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming HomeBrew flanger, probably to replace (or at least coexist) with my old Boss BF-2B.

If it's as wild as the Psilocybe phaser, I'll be happy. :)

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    yamaha FL10MII

not in production for a long time, but if you can find one on ebay, get it! it can get nice and crazy, and sounds beautifully warm and luscious. doesn't have all the modes like the bf3, but... it's a nice flanger, nonetheless.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    IMHO, no other pedal flanger even touches the TZF...

6. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Did you vote for the flanger on Homebrew's forum?

I think it's great that Joel is asking what his next pedal should be. A HBE flanger will definitely be on my list of check-out items.

7. I have heard that it might not work so well with bass. (but it is super hard to find any one who has done so- everyone that I have run across has just heard it with guitar). Have you actually tried one with bass and if so could you give the results? Thanks.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    You betcha! :D

If HBE releases it, it's definitely worth looking into.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL

mine works fine w/ basses. but yea, it is a little temperamental w/ my active basses. but w/ the passive stuff, works fine.

again, it's all about tweaking, but it can work. the TZF is not for the plug in play kinda guys. its a tool, not necessarily a toy, so patience is rewarded!

10. I've heard that the Rocktron flanger is ridiculous.

[​IMG]

11. Well that it excellent (and hellish news!) Well I run totally passive, so dammit! I had put the expensive TZF out of my mind... Now I am seriously thinking about rearranging my pedalboard to squeeze it in!

Do you use the expression pedal with it?

You are the first bassist that I have ran across that has actually played one. Thanks for the feedback (or CURSES!!!)

-Dean

12. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    As much as I love the sound of flanging through the null, I have to wonder if through-zero flanging is very useful on a bass signal, due to the relatively limited amount of harmonic overtones....

How about the Liqua-Flange? Is it any good?

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hehe,

yea, i use the expression pedal, and it opens up a whole world with the TZF. heck, using it as the manual control, i can get psuedo univibe like sounds, and even control the sweep of the flange sometimes, too! cant quite remember how, but i can! loL!

14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Wow, I'm suprised no one has mentioned the undisputed KING of Flangers:

[​IMG]

15. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1...

also +1 on the Flanger Hoax.. and neither of them are priced too badly, either.