Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extreme funk help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rporcupine, Jun 7, 2004.

1. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    Hi,

How do i get a really extreme wah sound like realllllly funky. An example I want is Fleas power of equality, in the interlude. Anyone know what i mean? I bought a Danelectro french fries auto wah and it isnt funky enough. Anyway, I tried a dunlop bass crybaby in my local guitar shop, and it didnt impress me. It gives a slight wahy sound. The guy said get an envelope filter which I thought was the same thing. Ive been looking into the DOD fx25b, which is popular, and the digitech bass synth envelope filter. However, is it worth it to go for a electro-harmonix q-tron or a mini-q? are they equally responsive to bass? i dunno

plz help

ahhhh

Moi

2. If I remember correctly...since I was listening to it last night!...you're talking about that really trebly, quacky, no-bass-having section in the middle, right?

Okay, he uses a Q-tron live, but I'm not sure of the settings, and I don't think he used it for the recording of that song...it doesn't really sound like a Q to me. That particular section actually sounds like the DOD FX25B with the sensitivity cranked. The Digitech Synth Wah does that on the Envelope Filter setting.

BTW, when you go that extreme, it's called FOWNK, and you need to curl your lip and use your whole body to say it.

3. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    ok,

i wanna get FOWNKY, so wht do u suggest i get? my budget isnt tht huge. by the way i have an active ibanez edc700 4 string and a phat amp which cranks up tht FOWNK. i dont think i can get a q-tron, bit pricy, but maybe a mini-q. the demo on musiciansfriend.com sounds good (but thts for guitar). o and i dont necessarily have to get fleas power of equality sound. just somethin 'oomphy' (not really high tone, like ... oomph (ya know)) and DAMN FOWNKY.

help.. again

4. I really like the Digitech Bass Synth/Wah. It's got 7 modes which cover the Envelope Filter effect, to Sub Envelope Filter (my favorite), to a couple of analog filters (like old 70's Moog synth filters, to a couple of straight up bass synths, to a deep sub-bass thang. It's really fun to mess around with. I have two, because I use two of the different presets. I keep one locked to 'my sound' and use the other one to mess around with.

I also own the Q-tron, and I found it limiting and cumbersome. The Q needs an adaptor, doesn't fit on pedalboards all that well and is just way too big for what it does...like all EH effects. Also, I found it pretty hard to not have the volume spike when I turned it on. I'd be playing, hit the pedal, and be a lot louder...which isn't what I wanted.

You can get the Digitech for $70-$80 new, and the Q-tron for about $190. I vote Digitech.

5. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    yay

thankyou

i love you

im gonna go buy one, doodeedoo

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    digitech. it's cheap and good.

7. Right back atcha big guy. Go get yo' Fownk on! Sha-ZAM

wahkachicka-wahkachicka-wahkachicka-wahkachicka-

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    ohhh, darn...

I thought this was going to be aboutr death metal funk...

:(

Alex

9. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Super funky over the top wah?

http://www.ebs.bass.se/2001/soundsamples/all-iq.htm

Play the samples A & B under Hi-Q

You did say cheap and these are on the other side of cheap :( But they are analog and I believe true bypass. I just bought the Ibanez SB7 for $70 and it does a pretty good job also.

10. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I, too, wouldn't mind funkin' it up on a budget. So are there any other good pedals for this in the under $100 range like the Digitech? Of course with the $20 rebate on the Digitech right now that just sweetens the deal.

You're right about the ebs. It does sound good and it is waay on the other side of cheap!!

11. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    wow the ebs sounds damn FOWNKY. but how much are they? and also i live in the UK so how can i get it. my budget is about 80 quid (english) so thats about $140 i guess. anybody?

12. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I couldn't find an ebs for under $200 US.

13. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    tht EBS is amazing! but a bit above my budget. is the next best thing a digitech or what?

those double 0 agents are good, anybody know them? or where i can get one to the uk?

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the Digitech Synth Wah and I like it a lot, but I prefer the Mini-Q for envelope filterin' funk. The Q has a fuller, more appealing tone to me,.

Now, as for the other synth sounds, the Digitech sounds great, especially for the money. I use it all the time in our music and people love hearing it. I get a lot of compliments on it.

15. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    anyone know where i can get a BASS sample of the mini-q? or cld sum1 funkify it lots and record themselves and send it to me?

16. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Since you asked about the DOD FX-25B, I figured I'd give you a quick rundown of my experiences with it...

Pros: Funky with a capital F. Cheap--like $25 cheap. Funky. Did I mention it was funky? Impolite in the best sense of the word. Some amazing sounds for guitar if you're into that sort of thing.

Cons: Totally one dimensional. There's only one sound that it really does. You can tone it down a bit if you want, but it's a one trick pony. Takes some practice to control the dynamics...you have to know how to give it some lovin' if you want it to perform. Some people aren't fans of DOD's construction (although it's really not bad given the price).

If you're going for versatility, it's not for you. The Digitech would probably be the way to go.

If you want sound samples, I can probably hook you up.

17. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i vote this as the most entertaining thread of the day.

18. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    yay

i make enertaining things

19. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    damn spelt entertaining wrong

20. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Rats!!

I went to my local music store today and they didn't have the Digitech. :spit: They did have the Boss Auto Wah that was also a lot of fun to play with. But it was a whole lot more money!! I gotta get my hands on the Digitech.

While we're on the subject of Digitech... I tried out their bass compressor and I have to say that for $60 I was impressed! I was trying the Boss comp on the ME50B but it just killed my tone. The Digitech did a really good job of compressing while keeping the tone intact.