Extreme Makeover Bass Edition - Completed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Perhaps you recall the thread I started a while back where I said I was going to revamp my Peavey Axcellerator. The project has been completed! I'll post a couple of pictures, then add a link to my 'webpage'.

To remind you of it's original look:

Now the completed look:

If you would like to see a couple more pictures, feel free to visit my webpage:

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow. Do you have a link to your old thread? I think i missed it.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No, i dont believe you... it cant be real... (where's that popping-eye smily when you need it? :smug: )
    or is that a new body with the same old neck?
    upon closer inspection the body seems just a bit larger, and a little different shape... and the lower horn is shorter, too

Anyway, good work!
    (But why just three pots? i would've added a 2- or 3-band eq and series-parallel switch for the p-ups; but its your bass, so...)
  4. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    woa!! Talk about some serious plastic surgery, thumbs up! :D
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

When I saw the difference, I seriously said "Ho-holy ****!" That is some serious work you've done. Beautiful!
  6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
  7. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Very well done, looks like a headstock mod and a body mod on the bottom horn and maybe a new top, or just a stain instead of paint on existing wood. I really prefer the changed version, excellent work.
  8. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice work, though, I don´t like the shape of the new headstock.

The new finish is beautiful
  9. First of all, at the moment, the link to my 'webpage' isn't working. I guess I exceded some band width something or other with the pictures I uploaded earlier today. :meh:

Anyway, yes, the head received a remake, mostly because I didn't want it to look like a typcial Peavey head. The body saw the most significant change to the bottom horn, as well as a few shavings here and there on the bottom side of the top horn and a few more places around the body. The wood underneath the paint was mismatched, so I applied an ebony stain [to the neck as well, so the neck wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb]. The top is an 1/8th inch thick piece of Spanish Cedar bookmatched.

Because the original design used a pickguard, I had to cut and channel a new back plate [and when the 'webpage' comes back up, you'll be able to see that picture], since the new top would be pickguard-less. Not a fan of the pickguard.

Anyway, I understand the reaction so far. I STILL share it. Quite a difference from the way it was originally, and much more appealing to the style of music I prefer, modern jazz.

Please feel free to add comments. :)
  10. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    That's freakin' beautiful work.

I was thinking of giving a facelift to my Modulus Q6 (I hate the transparent red, and the quilt isn't that great). I think I'm going Amber on this now. Thanks.

11. This was a very low cost project. Probably around $50 or so. The electronics in this is an 18 volt active setup with a volume, blend, and a stacked bass and trebble pots. I would have liked to add a mid pot, but it would have increased the project cost too much by having to purchase a new preamp.

By the way, thank you all for the comments. I appreciate it VERY much! Your praise has made my day! . . . . . . .and today is my birthday [Aug. 3], so an extra birthday present for me. Thank you!!!! :D
  12. beautiful work my man, nothing better than a one off bass.
  13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Looks great, including the new headstock and body shape. I agree with you about pickguards (although I'm not gonna mod my Ric...). Like the stain too.

Great job and Happy Birthday!

14. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Well done! The headstock looks like a Cort Curbow.
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow. good job, man, that's really cool.
  16. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    That is truly amazing. Well done :D
  17. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The Drama teacher of my highschool was on Extreme Makeover.. Ms. Seppage (now Chokette or whatever)... The title of this thread brought back bad memories of the show *shudder*.. but that bass is beautiful!
  18. nicely done! i thought the body looked bigger too, but i'm sure it's because of the pickgaurd being removed. you see the whole surface area of the body. excellent, excellent work, and happy birthday! :D
  19. $50??!?!?!??!?! Wow, the difference $50 dollars can make eh?