Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition... on steroids

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    A few months ago, a local man was in a car wreck while making a delivery... He was killed.

He had just bought a farm with a raggedy ass house that looked like it was about to fall over...

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition got involved... and got way more than they were bargaining for.

The family is 2 kids... both under 15... And a mom. With this huge hay farm.... and they aren't making enough to pay for the farm.

They got the usual treatment, the built a new awsome house, sears paid the mortgage yada yada...

But the Bakersfield community did so much more...

The local ford dealership donated 2 cars. A truck appropriate for farm use, and a car for the mom to drive around town...

The farm equipment place donated an automatic irrigation system... John Deer donated tractors and such...

A local dentist is giving the kids free dental for life... some family took over health insurance payments till the kids are 18...

Soem guy built the daughter a brand new play house, air conditioning, running water, flat screen tv...

its insane. Go bakersfield.

2. there are good people in this world.

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm sorry, I think that's absolutely ridiculous. This family is now better off than most Americans! That's not how alms-giving should work. Think of all the homeless and working poor that could have used assistance, then look at "...brand new play house, [with?!] air conditioning, running water, flat screen tv..."

No.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    With all the new found money in their lives, they'll be busy being famous, and run the farm into the ground. Then some developer will buy the land and throw up another 300 house development.

It is awesome to see people so anxious to help out, but this is ridiculous. Maybe some of that giving spirit could have been channeled to other families. Come on, a free home and a couple new cars is more than enough for one family.

-Mike

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Her dad died and people wanted to be nice.

Sorry she has more material things than you. Dont you see that its not the actual material things, but the fact that the people were willing to give to her that is whats special here?

On topic:

Damn, thats friken awesome.

6. good luck to them. if people want to give, let em.

7. I think that's incredible. Just goes to show that some people in the world still care and are willing to help out others in need. What's the use in having money if you won't help out others? Some people may think that keeping every dime for themselves is the way to go, it's their decision. But for me, I would much rather see a smile and the tears of joy from a woman with young kids that I just helped through a life changing tragedy.

For Christmas, is the joy in the gift or the great feeling you get watching someone opening something that you gave them that they enjoy? For me, it's the latter.

I'm really glad for this woman and her family. I know the things they received won't replace their loved one, but it will make it easier and that's great.

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    It's probably more than the family needs, but no one has a right to complain about it being too much or too little; the money was given by private organizations which can do whatever they want. I've arbitrarily donated a lot of money to organizations I liked, oftentimes for ulterior and self serving motives, instead of those who would save the most starving children.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    All in all... over $1,000,000 in donated items... college funds... Randy Travis came and did a benefit show...

The episode airs late november, i believe.

10. i believe it is November 21st

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey...I want a playhouse with a flat-screen TV.

brad cook

12. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    It's actually too bad we live in a meterialistic society. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for them, but none of this is going to replace the loss of a loved one. It's a little overkill if you ask me, but still vey nice.