Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extreme obesity - extreme weight loss

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8308212/

He was 1072 lbs
    Now he got down to 499...

But that's still over three times as much as I am (145-150 lbs @ over 6'4")... :eyebrow:

We would've made an extreme contrast :D

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've seen your pictures.... go eat a couple double cheeseburgers or something :p

he was once over 7 times the man you are ;)

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Do those surgerys leave big scars?.

4. I'm half the man I used to bee-eee

-Stone Temple Pilots

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Good Tune :bassist:

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If it means the difference between life & death, do scars really matter... I mean, a person who lets himself get that big, obviously isn't concerned about appearance, anyway.

I'd like to point out, that even at 500 lbs, this guy's quality of life is still going to be pretty grim. But, its a damn sight better than what it WAS...

If only folks would just recognize the impending disaster years prior, instead of waiting to do something THIS drastic.

There's a guy here in my building, who's probably 5'2", who weighed 500 pounds. He was so obese, that merely standing & riding the elevator was a strain, you could hear his labored breathing,, just standing there. He couldn't really walk, he'd just teeter back & forth.

Well, about a year ago, he decided to take ownership of his health. He's lost 300 pounds now, & I while I was out running during my lunch on Wednesday, he was outside, walking the same route I was running.

I'm so happy for that guy, & the drastic nature of his accomplishment. NOT doing something is most certainly choosing an early demise.

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Actually I've picked up a few pounds lately... It didn't go easy. Somehow it's very hard for me to put on weight. My body fat stays low whatever I do, whatever I eat. And yeah, women are jealous :D

:D
    Let's just say, compared to me, he was _the man_
    But only in weight :p

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

I like this story.

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    True words...
    And what if it does leave scars? I've seen some very ugly-looking fat people so far, and I think they looked worse than just a scar...

That's some accomplishment. If you congratulate him, give my congratulations, too

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The surgery is NOT a cure all. You have to maintain a different life style. I know a guy who was around 400lbs. He had the surgery, and got down to 220. You know what he weighs now? About 380. He started drinking a case of beer a day again, and his weight went right back up, despite the surgery.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I saw the largest man I've ever seen in my life the other day.

Couldn't have been in a more awkward situation either. Walking down a long narrow hallway with nowhere to duck out of the way. He was literally 3 maybe 4 times my width(I'm a thin guy, but still...)

I don't understand how people can get so huge, it's simultaneously comically :eyebrow: and sufficiently :(

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    "Beefcake!!!!!!"

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well put. With ownership comes responsibility. I like that notion.
    :)

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Wow..

That's a pretty cool story. That's guy's actually gonna have a future!

And here I am complaining about a l'il back ache...

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    So what do you say to someone in that situation? "Wow, you look good, you've lost alot of weight?" At 500 pounds, he still looks sick.

-Mike

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    "So you're still alive?" :smug:

He's still loosing weight. And he has moved on his own feet for the first time in a long time
    500 and loosing weight is still better than 1072 and dying, right? ;)

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sure thing.

-Mike

18. Losing 573lbs can put a little spring in your step I would think.