Extremely Bizzare Vintage Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masamax, Oct 17, 2003.

1. This bass belongs to my instructor. Apparently the pup configuration was factory installed by Musicman. The bass is dated '79 btw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The picture is so dark I cant see the pickups - but it does look like two lighter black lines - 2 Js? anyway I wouldnt call it bizarre, just rare

3. Never seen one like that before, must have been an experiment by MM. How does it sound? Like a Jazz bass?
    Also, what's with the lumpy alterations to the back of the body, does your instructor wear a studded belt or is it just a work in progress to make more tummy room? :eek:

4. factory installed J p/ups?

with covered polepieces?

judging by the number of modifications on the bass (different machineheads, added string retainer on the E and A strings), I doubt it.
    removing the pickguard to see if there's a different rout beneath would provide proof.

the Stereophonics' bassist Richard Jones used to play an Ernie Ball Stingray which had 2 J p/ups fitted to it-
    the Bass Centre later advertised it for £2000 or so- "a piece of rock history" :rolleyes:

-it seemed like a pretty pointless modification- if you want a J bass, get a J bass, surely?- there are plenty of active J types out there.

5. I agree with you!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Treena agrees with you!

7. I'd have to say the most bizarre "vintage" Stinger was one I found in the local classifieds.

79 Stingray(origally)
    Yamaha neck (ala BB3000s)
    fretlessebony FB + lines + mother of pearl inlays
    body stripped tung oiled, top of body cut to reveal deeper ash grain
    what else...
    Badass bridge
    Bart pickup
    1/4 inch rosewood inlay surrounding bridge and humbucker...

Talk about destroying a once great bass, all because the guy didn't like the bass.

Needless to say I didn't waste too much time with this.
    What I learned- don't sound too interested until you've actually seen the bass and classifieds can be deceiving...

Glenn

8. I'd have to say the most bizarre "vintage" Stinger was one I found in the local classifieds.

79 Stingray(origally)
    Yamaha neck (ala BB3000s)
    fretlessebony FB + lines + mother of pearl inlays
    body stripped tung oiled, top of body cut to reveal deeper ash grain
    what else...
    Badass bridge
    Bart pickup
    1/4 inch rosewood inlay surrounding bridge and humbucker...

Talk about destroying a once great bass, all because the guy didn't like the neck.

Needless to say I didn't waste too much time with this.
    What I learned- don't sound too interested until you've actually seen the bass and classifieds can be deceiving...

Glenn

9. The pickups were EMGs when he got it. The bass has only had 2 owners, him and the original. The original owner must have replaced the tuners (see back) but my instructor replaced the pups (barts) and re-routed it. I am not sure what the switch was before he rerouted the electronics, but now it's simply an on/off switch.