Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extremely Bizzare Vintage Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masamax, Oct 17, 2003.

1. This bass belongs to my instructor. Apparently the pup configuration was factory installed by Musicman. The bass is dated '79 btw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The picture is so dark I cant see the pickups - but it does look like two lighter black lines - 2 Js? anyway I wouldnt call it bizarre, just rare

3. Never seen one like that before, must have been an experiment by MM. How does it sound? Like a Jazz bass?
    Also, what's with the lumpy alterations to the back of the body, does your instructor wear a studded belt or is it just a work in progress to make more tummy room? :eek:

4. factory installed J p/ups?

with covered polepieces?

judging by the number of modifications on the bass (different machineheads, added string retainer on the E and A strings), I doubt it.
    removing the pickguard to see if there's a different rout beneath would provide proof.

the Stereophonics' bassist Richard Jones used to play an Ernie Ball Stingray which had 2 J p/ups fitted to it-
    the Bass Centre later advertised it for £2000 or so- "a piece of rock history" :rolleyes:

-it seemed like a pretty pointless modification- if you want a J bass, get a J bass, surely?- there are plenty of active J types out there.

5. I agree with you!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Treena agrees with you!

7. I'd have to say the most bizarre "vintage" Stinger was one I found in the local classifieds.

79 Stingray(origally)
    Yamaha neck (ala BB3000s)
    fretlessebony FB + lines + mother of pearl inlays
    body stripped tung oiled, top of body cut to reveal deeper ash grain
    what else...
    Badass bridge
    Bart pickup
    1/4 inch rosewood inlay surrounding bridge and humbucker...

Talk about destroying a once great bass, all because the guy didn't like the bass.

Needless to say I didn't waste too much time with this.
    What I learned- don't sound too interested until you've actually seen the bass and classifieds can be deceiving...

Glenn

8. I'd have to say the most bizarre "vintage" Stinger was one I found in the local classifieds.

79 Stingray(origally)
    Yamaha neck (ala BB3000s)
    fretlessebony FB + lines + mother of pearl inlays
    body stripped tung oiled, top of body cut to reveal deeper ash grain
    what else...
    Badass bridge
    Bart pickup
    1/4 inch rosewood inlay surrounding bridge and humbucker...

Talk about destroying a once great bass, all because the guy didn't like the neck.

Needless to say I didn't waste too much time with this.
    What I learned- don't sound too interested until you've actually seen the bass and classifieds can be deceiving...

Glenn

9. The pickups were EMGs when he got it. The bass has only had 2 owners, him and the original. The original owner must have replaced the tuners (see back) but my instructor replaced the pups (barts) and re-routed it. I am not sure what the switch was before he rerouted the electronics, but now it's simply an on/off switch.