1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extremely frustrated with fingerstyle!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cire113, Apr 24, 2010.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Here's my problem I'm learning fingerstyle and instead of striking through and resting on the higher string I keep pulling up and away...It's like I pluck then bend my knuckle up...

I can't seem to not do this.. Can someone please explain this technique as simple as possible ??

I might just stay pick style put I like the dynamics with fingers

2. Jon_West

Jon_West

Jan 8, 2009
    GTA, Ontario
    Pretty sure everyone does this at first. The "proper" way is, like you said, to finger the string and carry it to the one lower string, muting it. It's very awkward to do at first, but practice and you'll get it. It has many, many rewards. :D

3. Lincoln1

Lincoln1

Feb 5, 2010
    I'm just learning (1yr) and it definately takes a while to make it work. Stick with it and it'll be worth your trouble in the long run for sure.

4. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    Just a hunch... are you plucking *very* lightly or digging in?

All the pros I've learned from have an extremely light touch (both hands...).

It improves tone, endurance and agility, and also reduces repetitive strain injury.

5. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    generally.....across the string. not down and through, not bottom to top. not with a lot of effort. let your electronics do the work. run your pups hot, work on a lighter touch. control the dynamics with the effort in your technique.

continue to practice. practice with the right technique assures growth.

6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Understand the mechanics of your movement.

Look down on the back of your hand, have it just in front of your chest, or on a table if you want.

You notice you have three knuckle joints, from the wrist i will call the 1-2-3. if you notice 1 is the largest one and the others, 2 and 3 are on the fingers. I has the ability to place and change the angle of 2 and 3, and 2 and 3 like to work together a a rule.

With the hand and fingers straight you notice the fingers are all different lengths, giving the tips different heights, bend the all in and touch the palm and now the tips are basically the same height or level. This is achieved mainly through knuckle 1 doing its job of setting the angles and in doing so set the fingers.

If we now only bend from knuckle 2, you may have to do this over an edge of a table, book, or use your other hand, and stop the knuckles from setting, at about 90 degrees the finger tips are still un-even much as the were when straight. Repeat the same movement again but now free of an edge to restrain them, and the fingertips will be level before they even get close to the 90 degrees.

In a plucking hand the strike comes from the finger tips, the movement that sets that angle come from knuckle 2, not knuckle 1. If knuckle 1 gets involved the natural mechanic of that set motion, which is a basic pulling back to set the fingers, will result in a motion that pulls the string away from the bass. It is a matter of fact then that if you pull away from the bass the string must resonate and return to it, so there is more likelyhood of it now hitting the frets or the pickup as it does so.

To see the correct motion in you hands, lead from the finger tips and knuckle 3 and 2, do not use or attempt to use knuckle one, and by no means attempt to restrain knuckle 1, let its use and involvement be in line to support the movements of knuckles 2 and 3 not start it.

Simple exercise and visual,;

with fingers and hand straight curl joint 2 towards the palm keeping joint 1 straight. The finger tips will now touch the palm close to the bases of the fingers. Now use knuckle 1 and close the hand and the finger will now be in line with the base of the thumb. Now reverse the action.
    Straighten joint 1 and return to the position of the finger tips the palm close to the base of the fingers, now straighten joint 2 and the fingers are straight, that is in line movement, each joint in turn supporting the movement. Get this action from joint 2 in you playing and it will become better in every way.:)

7. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Wow fergie you rule my problem was using knuckle 1 basically!!! That's why I was basically pulling up and away it's gonna take practice put I understand how most of motion comes from 2 and 3

8. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    It takes a little practice but once your brain understands what it is doing it becomes second nature, slow and easy and it will come. Any specific questions let me know.:)

9. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    +1