Extremely inexpensive basses..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Does anyone own or has played one of those Carlo RObelli (spelling?) fretless or 6 string that are shown on some musiciansfriend ads on magazines?

Or does anyone know the brand Pectra?
    This second brand is Korean.. mostly copies.. a friend and I owned a 5 stringer of these which had costed him less than
    us $ 100, but it was made of some sort of plywood.. But yesterday I saw a Pectra 6 string, made of real wood.. it seemed to be a pretty good instrument but costs less than us$ 3500..

I dont know if this brand is common in other countries but is getting very common here in Mexico, but I have no one to ask about these basses...
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The fretless is light as a toy and has a floppy output jack, but it actually plays and sounds pretty nice. Not bad for under $200, but I hear they don't last long.

They should sell them from vending machines, so that if it craps out during a gig you can go to the lobby and get another.
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    hey louis, are you talking about those Xpectra? (not Pectra)... i wasn't impressed at all, the sell too cheap but that's what you get for the money...

i do liked their electroacoustic guitars.

hey luis, no estarás hablando de Xpectra? (no Pectra, la X esta como dibujada en rojo antes del nombre)...

no me parecieron tan impresionantes, se venden muy barato... en mi opinion tu obtienes lo que pagas...

lo que si me gustaron son las guitarras electroacusticas.
  4. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Anybody try one of these? They look like fairly decent Fender clones. The site says "The body of the bass is composed of a beautiful solid ash. The neck is made from fine maple and includes a maple fret board with 20 frets and block inlays". I emailed their customer care dept. and asked if the pickups can be replaced. They said new pickups would be a drop in affair. They are in the $135.00 range.
  5. Remember 99% of the time, you get what you pay for. There is a reason that the Rogue is only $79.
    As for that other 1%, thats where some people get lucky. I got my Squier P back in '97, and haven't had to do anything but tune it. Never had a single problem with it until I got my Yamaha, then the Squier's volume pot cracked, I think it got jealous.