Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extremely loud humming and crackling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael Henson, Jan 19, 2006.

1. I got an Ampeg BA-115 for Christmas to use in the coffee house style youth service my church has in our youth room and last night was my first chance to use it in that setting. I've played it a few times at home and besides a loud humming I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Last night, however, I noticed that when I had the volume turned up much at all and attacked a note somewhat harder than the rest I would get a loud obnoxious crackle sound. I could unplug the bass from the amp and the humming and crackling would continue. Once, I even had the power off and someone said something into the microphone and my amp crackled. What is causing this? :help:

:bag:

2. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    I'm not sure about the crackling but the BA-115 is well known for the hum it produces. I owned one but couldn't get past the extra noise it created so I returned it. Perhaps bring it to a warranty center to address the crackling problem...that certainly doesn't sound like its within the norm.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    loose wire inside the cab? check speaker connection first. then the input jack.

if its under warranty take it to where you bought it.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I had a sound like that in my BA115SP... turned out to be the 9v Batteries powering my Bart Preamp were about dead. Replaced 'em both, sound issue resolved. Are you sure its your amp? Have you tried other basses with it?

5. Wait a minute- you say the amp was off and someone said someting into a mike and your amp made noise? Are you sure? That's hard to understand.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I spent hours trying to track down the cause of a crackling sound, and traced it to a bad cable. In your case the bad connection could be inside the amp -- is it under warranty?

It could also be a vibration, and not actually coming from the speaker. That's happened to me too. And the vibration might not be your amp, but something nearby.

7. Now, that I think about it, the power wasn't turned off, both volume knobs were turned all the way down. I dropped it off at a service center this morning. I'll change the batteries in my bass this evening and I should be good to go next time. I'll post up when I find out what it was....