Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extremely low volume on active bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kronos, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey everyone...More troubles with the Ibanez fix.

As some of you already know, I replaced the bass/treble and mid/vari mid stacked pots in my bass. I also replaced the battery clip inside. Well, finally had the chance to plug it in and see how it sounds...

...and barely got anything. The volume is so low, I almost thought that maybe it wasn't working at all. I had just put a new 9v battery in, and I wired according to the wiring diagram, but yet still no volume.

I opened up the back, and noticed that the 9v was slightly warm. Could it be that the 9v clip that I installed might be wired oppositely of how the Ibanez is wired? (I connected the red to the red, and the black to the black, so I figured it was wired correctly there).

Otherwise, the only other thing I could think of is that maybe the volume pot went bad? I don't understand how, since it was fine before I started messing with it, but you never know I guess. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Maybe there's a cut/break/separation somewhere in the wire that connects the battery to the rest of the electronics.

3. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    If you say the battery is warm,you mighta shorted it somewhere when you rewired the whole thing.
    Check again ALL the stuff...especially the battery clip polarity and the polarity of the wires going to the output jack,trying to remember how was installed the older one.
    HTH!
    Regards,

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was thinking the same thing about the polarity, Le Basseur. When I replaced the clip, I cut the clip itself off of the wires, leaving me a length of the wire so that I could match red/red, black/black. Maybe the Radio Shack clips were colored wrong? I'm going to give the bass a once over tonight. Thanks, both of you.

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    For those of you who were wondering, I fixed it! Turns out that when I was soldering the new 9v battery connector to the old wires, I must've somehow pulled the negative wire off of the input. Silly me! all this worrying for 2 seconds of work. Well, at least it works, and sounds good!!!

6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Hey,
    I'm glad you solved it!:hyper:
    Though...it's not very clear why the battery got warm if there was only an unsoldered wire.Usually,a battery cannot become warm by itself assuming that it's completely disconnected from the circuit (as you say it was).That's why I thought on a short in the first place.
    Maybe it was your hot and sweaty palms warming instantly that battery?;) :)
    Regards,

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Either that, or what I was thinking is that the ground wire was floating around touching other metal parts inside the cavity...

8. Mat Campbell

Mat Campbell

Feb 6, 2012
    Bought the srt800dx bass from a company in the states (im from the UK) just before xmas as reconditioned by ibanez.

Plugged it in.. sounded great, then the battery got warm and the whole thing went more and more quiet.

So i went to the shop and bought a top quality battery and put it in. Great! - and then 20m later, same thing happened.

There are no obvious wiring issues as i had it checked by a guitar tech in a shop.

He reckons there might be a fault with the vari mid preamp.

Anybody got any ideas?